Spring in Disneyland can be a popular time of year for guests to consider visiting. All of the flowers are in full bloom, the weather is warm but not hot, kids are out of school on Spring Break, and there are a variety of special events.
Here are our pros and cons of visiting Disneyland during Spring. Consider this list alongside our guide to all the events at Disneyland in our when to visit Disneyland calendar. Although, in this guide we do aim to provide you with all the major 2020 events occurring between January-May along with some discount tickets to light your way!
2020 Disneyland Spring Events
Before we launch into our guide to visiting Disneyland in Spring, here are the things to look forward to when you you visit Disneyland this Spring!
Lunar New Year at Disneyland
The Disneyland Lunar New Year event celebration kicks off on January 17th and ends on February 9th. You can expect to see a parade celebrating the Lunar New Year featuring Mulan along with marketplace food options featuring Korean, Vietnam, and Chinese offerings, special merchandise, and more.
See our full guide to Disneyland's celebration of the Lunar New Year to plan your trip and enjoy the festivities!
Valentine’s Month at Disneyland Celebrating Mickey and Minnie Mouse!
Disneyland will deck out the park in honor of Mickey and Minnie Mouse's love as thee parks celebrate Valentine's Day with themed decor, special food and beverage offerings, and souvenirs.
This celebration will also include Minnie’s Valentine Surprise, a park-wide scavenger hunt that leads Guests on a search for the secret valentines Minnie has hidden for Mickey and friends. All you will have to do is purchase a commemorative map and stickers at select merchandise locations, find the valentines and redeem your completed map for a special surprise.
You will also find plenty of themed treats, dining, and other sweet surprises waiting you if you visit around Valentine's Day. See our perfect guide to a perfect Valentine's Day at Disneyland for everything you need to know.
California Adventure Food and Wine Festival
This year’s Food & Wine Festival at California Adventure Park runs from February 28th to April 21st and is sure to please any foodie and wine fan in your group.
This delicious festival includes marketplaces with tasty food, beer, and wine around California Adventure Park. There are also family-friendly seminars available with tips from special Guest presenters and an activity called Jr. Chef where kids can try hands-on cooking experiences! In addition, guests can enjoy live musical performances, and culinary demonstrations while enjoying high quality beer and wine.
Magic Happens- New Disneyland Parade
The new Disneyland parade debuts in the Spring and will likely run through the summer featuring Moana and Coco themed parade floats!
Easter at Disneyland
If you plan on visiting near the Easter holiday, you can expect to partake in the ever-popular Resort's Egg-stravaganza in both Disneyland, Disney California Adventure Parks, and in Downtown Disney District. The Egg-stravaganza will last usually 2-3 weeks around the Easter holiday giving guests plenty of chances to join in the fun.
All you need to do is purchase a map and set of corresponding stickers then hunt away for the eggs. Once an egg is spotted, place the matching sticker on the map. When all eggs have been located, return the map to the specific retail locations for a special prize If you want to keep your map and stickers unused as souvenirs rather than hunt, you can still return for your gift. And traditionally in past years, the Disneyland Hotel has hosted an Easter egg hunt on Easter morning near the Adventure Lawn. Younger guests of the Disneyland Hotel are invited to partake in the event but be sure to check with guest services prior.
In addition to the Disney themed egg hunts, you can expect to enjoy Easter themed dining and treats during your visit! See our full extensive guide to Easter at Disneyland to find out everything you need to know.
Rounding out the spring events at Disneyland Resort is the ever-popular Dapper Day. Although not an official Disneyland Resort event, fans of eras bygone and vintage styles descend on the Resort for a weekend to share tips, pleasantries, and everything retro.
Pros of Disneyland in Spring
Here are all of the pros of visiting Disneyland in the Spring! These are all factors to consider as benefits to visiting the Disneyland Resort during the Spring time.
- Chances for lower crowds- if you avoid the ever popular Spring Break weeks in March and April, you can visit Disneyland with minimal crowd levels. The earlier in ‘Spring' you visit, such as January and February, you can enjoy the lowest crowds all year.
- Mild temperatures- if you have folks in your group that aren't a fan of the heat, you can enjoy much more mild temperatures in the Spring with still the potential for some warm, breezy days.
- Spring exclusive events- some events, like the Food & Wine Festival in California Adventure and Dapper Day, only occur in the Spring and if you've been dying to see these events visiting in the Spring is a no brainer.
- More discounts- it's important to keep in mind that there is truly no ‘down time' of the year at Disneyland anymore. While you can expect lower crowd levels in the Spring, it's by no means completely empty. This is because Disney releases discounts for travel during the Spring to tempt guests to travel during this time of year. If you're looking to do Disney on a discount, you have a better chance of finding the best deals in the Spring!
Cons of Visiting Disneyland During Spring
It's hard even for the most avid Disneyland fan to imagine any cons of visiting during any time of year but there are always some things to consider! Here are the cons to visiting Disneyland in Spring.
- Risk for Rain- there's a larger risk of rain in the Spring since this time of year Southern California sees some of the wettest months of the year. Some find that a rainy day at Disneyland can be a blessing in disguise since many guests will leave once it rains which can lower the wait times for rides. But it can also be a hassle for some guests so it's an important factor to consider. You definitely need to be prepared with waterproof clothes, rain boots, and rain gear to make it a comfortable experience. Keep in mind that many rides with outdoor tracks tend to close when it rains and that many of the queues at Disneyland are outside.
- Refurbishments- since Spring is technically considered an ‘off season' for Disneyland this is when they tend to do most of their refurbishments. Disney is good about trying to stagger these refurbishments the best they can but despite their efforts you can still expect to see a few iconic rides down during your Spring visit. This can be a huge con for many guests that are looking to plan their once in a lifetime trip. For repeat guests, this might not matter quite as much.
- Spring Break crowds- while you do have a much more likelihood of experiencing lower crowds during a Spring trip to Disneyland, you can also expect to be bombarded by Spring Break crowds during some weeks in March and April. Avoid those weeks if you can!
Planning Your Disneyland Vacation!
There is a ton of information to read up on before planning a Disneyland vacation. Once you've decided on your hotel and ticket options, you can shift your focus to planning for crowds, constant activity, food, and souvenir buying. Familiarizing yourself with everything the Disneyland Resort has to offer can definitely make your Disney experience unforgettable for you and your family. Don't forget to subscribe to our FREE Deals Newsletter to stay on top of the current planning tips, strategies, and Disney deals!
- Discount Disneyland Tickets
- When to Visit Disneyland Crowd Calendar
- Best Disneyland Souvenirs
- Nearest Airport to Disneyland
- 7 Best Hotels Near Disneyland