Imagine if every future vacation you plan to take with your family incorporated some Disney magic. Picture you and your family traveling around the world to exotic places while enjoying the luxury accommodations Disney provides their Guests. The Disney Vacation Club may be just what you are dreaming of!
Planning a Trip to Disneyland? Save on Your Stay! Disneyland COMBO Hotel + Ticket Discounts Save big when you book your Disneyland tickets and hotel through our recommended travel sponsor (they have worked with Disney for 28 years). We negotiated the lowest prices on tickets and hotels so you don't have to worry. Book now!
Our Guide to Disney Vacation Club explores everything you need to know about this option of travel to help you decide if this is a perfect fit for your Disney-loving family.
What is Disney Vacation Club?
Disney Vacation Club (DVC) is a vacation ownership program – or timeshare – that you invest in that allows you a more cost-effective way of taking Disney vacations.
How DVC Membership Works
When you buy into Disney Vacation Club, you are purchasing a deeded real estate interest that is represented by Vacation Points.
- You begin by choosing a Home Resort. Your Home Resort is where you will own real estate interest in and is also where you get priority booking (up to 11 months in advance) for that specific resort.
- Once you have chosen a Home Resort, pick a Vacation Points range that best fits your family’s vacation needs. These Vacation Points are what you will receive as your annual allotment. Each point range costs vary. You have six Vacation Point ranges to choose from 100-124, 125-149, 150-174, 175-199, 200-224, 225-250.
- The more you travel, the more exotic the destination, accommodation type, time of year you travel, and length of stays will all determine how many points you will want to invest in.
- The value of your Vacation Points that you purchase today will never change no matter how much Disney prices increase.
- Vacation Points can be banked, borrowed, or added to. Meaning, if you are planning a future vacation that requires more points than you currently have, you can borrow points from the following Use Year (Use Year refers to the month of the year in which your Vacation Points are replenished to your account).
- Or you have the option to save the points to use for future vacations that may require more points that you currently have. Or you can add points by purchasing more.
DVC Available Home Resorts
At the time this article was written, the following real estate interests are available for purchase:
- Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina, Hawai'i
- Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
DVC Destinations and Accommodations
As with all things Disney, a variety of travel options are available to members. Members have the option to travel to Disney Vacation Club Resorts, Disney Resort Hotels (members get better Vacation Point values with these option), Disney Cruise Line, Adventures By Disney, Beyond Disney – Around the World (World Collection – RCI and Concierge Collection).
Disney Vacation Club Resorts
The following are DVC Resorts located a monorail ride away from both Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort in California.
Walt Disney World
- Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House
- Dinsey’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
- Dinsey’s Beach Club Villas
- Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
- Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalow
- The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- Disney Riviera Resort
- Boulder ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- The Villas at Disney’s Grand California Hotel & Spa
Other Magical Disney Vacation Club Resorts
Vero Beach, Florida
- Disney’s Vero Beach Resort
- Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort
- Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Oline, Hawai’i
Adventures By Disney Travel Destination Options
With these unforgettable travel destinations, members (who purchase their membership direct from DVC) have the option to travel to destinations around the globe. With each destination, leave the guesswork to your guides who are Disney-trained Adventure Guides and local experts who will take you on guided tours to some truly magnificent sights.
- Arizona & Utah
- Austria, Germany & Czech Republic
- Boston Short Escape
- Cambodia, Vietnam & Laos
- Canadian Rockies
- Costa Rica
- Ecuador & Galapagos Island
- Ecuador: Amazon & Galapagos Islands
- Seine River Cruise
- London Short Escape
- Montana & Canada
- New York City Short Escape
- River Cruise on the Rhine/Danube
- San Francisco Short Escape
- South Africa
- Southern California
- Vancouver Short Escape
- Washington D.C. and Philadelphia Tour
- Winter in Wyoming Short Escape
Beyond Disney – Destinations Around the World
With the Beyond Disney – Destinations Around the World Collection, you have thousands of destinations to choose to visit and non-Disney hotel accommodations. Check out all the destinations here.
Disney provides members with lush accommodations that are customized to fit your family’s needs. Each destination and resort offers its own unique accommodations that make you feel right at home. Some available options at various resorts are Studio Units that sleep up to 4; 1- and 2-Bedroom Villas that are equipped with full kitchens (with all the basic cooking utensils, pots, pans, and dishes) and some even come equipped with a washer and dryer; Bungalows that sleep up to 8; Cabins that sleep up to 8; and 3-Bedroom Grand Villas that sleep up to 12.
DVC Disney Cruises
Available to members who purchase directly from DVC, cruises set sail to such destinations as Europe, Caribbean, Alaska, and the Bahamas. There is even a membership cruise to partake in!
Pricing varies for each Home Resort. To inquire about other Home Resorts and pricing, you must contact a Disney Vacation Club Guide. It is always a good idea to purchase directly through Disney so that you are able to receive extra bonuses. Members who purchase their membership through a third party are not eligible to use their membership for stays at the Disney Collection or Concierge Collection destinations.
To give you an estimated example if you were to choose to buy real estate interest for the Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina, Hawai'i, costs start at $18,200. And there are closing costs as well! With the example above, DVC quotes an estimated $554.36 to close on this sale. Financing is available for qualified buyers. Yes, $18,200 is a lot of money, however, once you buy real estate interest, you are a member and membership lasts for 50 years!
DVC Annual Dues
Annual dues are necessary to cover your Home Resort's operating costs, administrative expenses, refurbishment expenses and real estate taxes. Annual Dues are calculated on a per Vacation Point basis. The amount you pay is determined by the size of your ownership interest.
DVC Membership Benefits
Designing your own Disney-themed vacation for decades to come is why many members choose to join DVC. Members have endless opportunities to visit Disney Parks without feeling the pressure to see and experience every attraction each visit. There is always next time.
Members are also offered special events like Moonlight Magic. Moonlight Magic is an after-hour event for members and their special guests that allows access to select theme parks after hours. Members enjoy short wait times, some character meet and greets, complimentary food and beverages, and high-energy dance parties.
Members are also offered private lounges with complimentary food and beverages and wi-fi at select locations, discounts on food and merchandise, and much more! Check out all the other benefits members get here.
Should You Buy a DVC Membership or Not?
As with any large investment, it is always a good idea to take the time to really weigh the pros and cons of this commitment. What you may enjoy today, may not be what you enjoy in 10 to 20 years. The cost of your investment does not include Park admission nor any of the hidden fees, such as taxes, that accompany staying in a Resort.
You can sell, rent, or transfer ownership at any time; however, Disney Vacation Club does not have a resale department nor do they assist you in selling your membership, renting your membership, or transferring your membership. You are responsible for independently finding a licensed real estate broker or private buyer.
Request a Disney Vacation Club DVD!
To learn more about Disney Vacation Club, request a DVD. You have the option of having a DVD mailed to you (which takes approximately a week to receive) or you can watch a sneak peek video online after you enter your personal information. You must be 18 years of age or older to order a free DVD.
Start Planning Your Disney Vacation Now!
Can’t wait to experience the magic of Disneyland? Subscribe to our FREE Deals newsletter where you will receive helpful planning information, exclusive Disney deals, and access to the lowest priced Disney tickets anywhere. You can find more information on planning your vacation here:
- When to Visit Disneyland
- Discount Disneyland Ticket Deals
- Ultimate Disneyland Packing List
- Flying to Disneyland – Which Airport to Fly Into and How to Get to Resort
- Best Disneyland Souvenirs