On top of many families' bucket lists lies Disneyland in Summer. The kids are off from school and the sun is shining brightly. What better way to commence summer with a visit, or two, to the Happiest Place on Earth?
The key to a successful summer trip is to plan, plan, plan! Here are some strategies for visiting Disneyland this summer to keep your trip as magical as possible.
Discount Disneyland Tickets
Our favorite Disney-approved re-seller, Get Away Today,offers the best Disneyland discount tickets around. In addition to great discount prices, their customer service and easy support is absolutely fantastic. They have an entire department dedicated to making sure every order has a wonderful experience and they are on-call to help you during your vacation if you need them.
Buying tickets from Get Away Today is easy and convenient since all their tickets are sent electronically. You can take their vouchers and head straight to the gate without needing to wait in any ticket booth lines. They also offer layaway plans so you can pay off your vacation over time.
You can read my review on my personal experiences booking through Get Away Today and how much you can save here!
2022 Disneyland Summer Events
Before we launch into our guide to visiting Disneyland in Summer, here are the things to look forward to when you you visit Disneyland this summer!
Disneyland Grad Nites
Disneyland Grad Nites is an event to celebrate local graduating high school seniors throughout the month of May and June. The 2022 dates are:
- May 13,14,18,20,21,25,26,31
- June 1,3,4,7,8,10,11,17
It is important to note that on these dates California Adventure will close at 9PM to guests not attending Grad Nites. Disneyland may see higher crowds these days in both parks especially on the weekend dates. But they are manageable, just be aware of these when planning your vacation!
Disneyland After Dark: Grad Nite Reunion
The Disneyland After Dark Event: Grad Nite Reunion takes place June 23, 28 and 30 at California Adventure. The park will close at 9PM on these nights to those without a party ticket. This Disneyland After Dark event is a throwback to your own high school grad night with a reunion party celebrating the last 6 decades with nostalgic food, entertainment and music!
Nighttime Spectaculars Return to Disneyland!
World of Color, Fantasmic!, and Disneyland Forever are back for the 2022 summer at Disneyland! You can reserve your dining packages for World of Color along with the coveted dessert party for reserved viewing during the show.
It is a fantastic summer to visit the Disneyland Resort with a full lineup of magical entertainment.
Main Street Electrical Parade 50th Anniversary
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Main Street Electrical Parade bringing with it a plethora of treats and merchandise to celebrate this iconic parade. All of these special themed treats and popcorn buckets will be available all summer which you can find below:
Main Street Electrical Parade 50th Anniversary Food
Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor hosted by Dreyer’s (available on Mobile Order)
- Uni-cone: Banana, cherry, and pistachio ice cream in a white chocolate-dipped waffle cone with fantasy sprinkles
Hub Churro Cart
- Blueberry Looks Good on You: Blueberry-flavored sugar-dusted churro (New)
- Blueberry Cheesecake Dipping Sauce: Blueberry fruit topping with cream cheese icing (New)
Fantasyland Theatre and Small World Popcorn Carts
- Electric Sweet & Salty Popcorn: Colorful sweet kettle corn combined with butter-flavored popcorn (New)
Fantasyland and Small World Churro Carts
- Electric Sprinkle Dip: Citrus buttercream frosting with sprinkles (New)
Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe (available on Mobile Order)
- Parade Macaron: Yellow macaron filled with honey buttercream and lemon curd topped with rainbow sprinkles and Main Street Electrical Parade drum decoration (New)
- Mine Cart Brownie: White chocolate-dipped dark chocolate brownie topped with sugar gems
- Linzer Cookie: Citrus shortbread linzer cookie with strawberry glaze
- Parade Confetti Bundt Cake: Confetti cake with blue sopapilla filling, cream cheese glaze, and Main Street Electrical Parade chocolate décor (New)
Refreshment Corner Hosted by Coca-Cola (available on Mobile Order)
- Electric Relish Dog: All-beef hot dog, bacon, mustard cheese sauce, electric relish, and sport peppers served with a choice of a Cuties mandarin orange or small bag of chips (New)
- Firefly Chips: Corn chips topped with chili, cheddar, Monterey Jack, and jalapeños
Red Rose Taverne hosted by Minute Maid (available on Mobile Order)
- Pineapple Night Light: Fresh pineapple purée and Sprite with a glow cube (New)
Town Square Churro Cart
- Parade Dreams: Colorful sugar-dusted churro with fruit drizzle garnished with rainbow candy (New)
Town Square Popcorn Cart
- Electric Pop: Brightly-colored kettle corn (New)
Available at Various Locations Throughout Disneyland Park Throughout the Summer Season:
- Light-up Turtle Premium Sipper (Limit two per person, per transaction while supplies last. Availability may vary throughout the season.) (New)
- Light-up Elliott Dragon Premium Bucket (Limit two per person, per transaction while supplies last. Availability may vary throughout the season.) (New)
Disneyland Summer Monthly Guides
Read our guides to visiting Disneyland in May, visiting Disneyland in June, visiting Disneyland in July and visiting Disneyland in August to read more about each month's special events, weather, crowd levels, and more!
Pros of a Visit to Disneyland in Summer
- Less chance of rain! California typically sees more rain in the winter months and coming in the summer alleviates most worries of visiting the park on a rainy day.
- It is convenient for many families with children being on vacation, so there is no need to take time away from school to visit Disneyland in Summer.
- Most rides and attractions will be open. There is likely to be fewer rides and attractions down for refurbishment in the summer and plenty happening to draw park visitors in. For instance, the fireworks go off every night and there are more showtimes available for fan favorites such as Fantasmic! and World of Color which gives your family plenty of touring flexibility.
- New attractions tend to open at the beginning of the summer along with new events and festivals. Be some of the first to experience any new attractions in the parks.
- The summer hours are the longest of the year. If you’re a regular energizer bunny, you could stay from opening time to midnight on most nights in the summer! This is a great advantage for folks that may only have one or two days to spend in the parks.
- Summertime means beach time and you can reasonably plan on a hot summer day at the beach on one of your off days from the parks. California has some of the most beautiful beaches in the country and summertime there are so many fun activities to try like surfing and beach volleyball. Check out the best beaches near Disneyland.
Cons of a Visit to Disneyland in Summer
- The heat in California can be intense in the summer. Moreover, the hot sun combined with the humidity can make for some sweltering afternoons. For folks that do not do well in the sun and heat, this can be a be a big snag in their vacation.
- It may be more expensive to visit in the summer. Because summer is peak travel time everything from your airfare to your hotel stay will likely be more expensive than it would be in the off months.
- LA traffic may be worse than usual due to a higher volume of tourists flocking to the state. If you plan on taking a drive from Anaheim down to Universal Studios or drive from LAX, the traffic may be more intense than usual. Of course, we know in California to plan for intense traffic regardless of the season!
Tips for Navigating Summer at Disneyland
Be familiar with the park hours and take that into account on the days you visit. Weekends typically have later evening hours than weekdays at Disneyland in Summer. Yet weekdays may have a chance of being less crowded than weekends. Plan what days you are going to visit carefully. Know what time the shows, parades, and fireworks start and make a note of which ones you want to attend. You can find Disneyland’s hours and entertainment schedule here.
Check Disneyland’s website for attraction closures. There’s nothing that spells disappointment like showing up to take a ride on Space Mountain and finding out it’s closed for refurbishment. Know ahead of time what to expect to prevent any unexpected family disappointments. You can find the list of Closed for Refurbishment rides at the bottom of this page on Disneyland’s website.
First-time visitor? Make sure you are familiar with the Fastpass and Maxpass system. Download the Disneyland app and learn how to use it. Whatever you can do to beat the heat and reduce your time waiting in line is a lifesaver! You’ll be thanking yourself later when you realize how much time you have saved! Check out our extensive Fastpass guide here to study up.
Make dining reservations in advance! Summers are crowded at Disneyland and those favorite restaurants fill up quickly. While there are many grab-and-go options, there is something to be said for being waited on when you’re on vacation. Make your dining reservations up to 60 days in advance online or by calling (714) 781-DINE (3463).
Splurge on a dining package for popular night time entertainment like Fantasmic! rather than fight the crowds for a good place to sit. Having one worthy splurge during the trip can make all the difference! Relax, dine, and enjoy the show.
Some summer days can get pretty crowded at Disneyland! Be sure to plan ahead by reading our guide for navigating crowds at Disneyland.
Ways to Beat the Heat at Disneyland in Summer
Show up early and be prepared! Buy your tickets in advance and plan on showing up to the gates before the park opens. While this isn’t always feasible for families with small children, the earlier you can come the better! The temps are cooler and the lines are shorter! Better to spend that afternoon heat relaxing in the shade with a Dole Whip than baking on the pavement. Follow a solid strategy so you're done with the main attractions before the afternoon.
Make a backup plan if that summer heat becomes unbearable. Make a note of which rides are indoors and which areas offer a retreat from the heat. This can be a nice emergency strategy to pull out when the family is literally melting down around you. Check out indoor shows, indoor queues and rides, and indoor restaurants for a relief from the heat. Save that emergency list on your phone so you can pull it out in a flash!
Water Rides and Meet & Greets and air conditioning, Oh my!
Find the water! Ride wait times for water rides will skyrocket in the afternoon on high-temperature days because it is the best way to beat the heat at Disneyland in Summer. So, make sure you snag that Fastpass ahead of time so you’re all set for the afternoon. Here are some places you can find the water at Disneyland & California Adventure Park:
- Splash Mountain at Disneyland
- Grizzly River Run at California Adventure Park
Don’t forget to pack a big Ziploc to store your camera, phone, and autograph book in! Nothing is worse than a wet autograph book! Find other recommendations on what to bring on your trip here.
Meet some characters in both Disneyland and California Adventure! Some character meet and greet options offer indoor queues, so this can be a nice welcoming break from the heat. Check out the Star Wars characters inside the Star Wars Launch Bay in Tomorrowland. Aside from meeting favorites like Darth Vader, there is plenty to keep the whole family entertained in the nice air conditioning. Star Wars, not your thing? Check out the Frozen crew in California Adventure inside the Disney Animation building, another air-conditioned area of bliss to take a break in on a hot day. Don’t forget to check your Disneyland app to see what time the characters are available!
Make Time for Summer Treats and Eats
Dole whips are a classic and all-time favorite of many. In other words, make sure you don’t miss out on yours! You can find these in Adventure Land in Disneyland. Pro tip: use Mobile Ordering to skip the long line inside the Tropical Hideaway. Grab your Dole Whip and stay for an air-conditioned show at The Enchanted Tiki Room! (Side note: these are also vegan!)
Ice cream at Disneyland is the best ice cream around–in my humble opinion. There are many options to choose from at Disneyland and California Adventure. Take a trip down nostalgia lane and check out Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor’s on Main Street in Disneyland. This old-fashioned ice cream parlor is packed with classic favorites. Or if you’re over at California Adventure, pop in at Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop and challenge yourself to the Earthquake! A massive eight topping and eight scoop sundae that only dreams are made of. Try to eat it yourself or split it with the family.
Indulge in the Blue Bayou restaurant inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. This restaurant is perfect for hot summer days. The setting transports you to a timeless New Orleans setting. Watch the boats glide by and take a break from the sun inside a beautiful twilight atmosphere. Kids love watching the boats AND they will enjoy the food. They have plenty of vegetarian and vegan accommodations, ask to speak to the chef and they will make your day! Blue Bayou also offers dining packages with reserved seating for Fantasmic! Check out our review here of the Blue Bayou Fantasmic! dining package! Make your reservation far in advance to ensure your spot! Call (714) 781-DINE (3463) to make a reservation up to 60 days in advance of your trip.
More Disneyland Planning Tips
There is a ton of information to read up on before planning a Disneyland vacation. Once you've decided on your hotel and ticket options, you can shift your focus to planning for crowds, constant activity, food, and souvenir buying. Familiarizing yourself with everything the Disneyland Resort has to offer can definitely make your Disney experience unforgettable for you and your family. Don't forget to subscribe to our FREE Deals Newsletter to stay on top of the current planning tips, strategies, and Disney deals!
You can discover more about planning your trip to Disneyland from these links:
Disclosure: We have used all the products recommended on Mickey Visit. We may receive compensation when you click on links to some products featured.