Walt Disney World in the summer is a popular time for families to visit as kids are out for summer vacation and that makes travel much easier for many people! When it comes to planning a trip in the summer to Florida you need to know how to beat the heat and survive the humidity- we have all the best tips for you to enjoy your trip.
2022 Walt Disney World Events
Before we launch into our guide to visiting Disney World in Summer, here are the things to look forward to when you you visit Walt Disney World this summer!
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind opens May 27th at Epcot! This brand new rollercoaster features new ride technology combined with immersive storytelling scenes that is said to be the best new e-ticket ride at Walt Disney World.
H20 Nights kickoff at Typhoon Lagoon on May 28th and run through August! H20 Nights are themed after hours parties that are great for families and adults alike.
Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival
Spring continues to bloom at Disney World as the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival takes place until July 4th. This annual event brings beautiful gardens, playgrounds, and great entertainment. Even if you aren't into gardening, be sure to get a picture by the freshly trimmed hedges near the Imagination pavilion.
Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
The Epcot International Food & Wine Festival begins on July 15th and continues into Fall. This popular festival event includes an awesome variety of food marketplace booths, great wine selections, entertainment, and more.
4th of July at Disney World
Each year Disney World throws a huge celebration on the 4th of July with a fantastic fireworks show. Be prepared to arrive early to get a good spot as this is a popular fireworks show.
Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary
Disney World's 50th Anniversary will continue with special entertainment fireworks show and new additions to Walt Disney World.
Read our guides to visiting Disney World in May, visiting Disney World in June, visiting Disney World in July and visiting Disney World in August to read more about each month's special events, weather, crowd levels, and more!
Pros of a Summer Visit to Walt Disney World
- It is convenient for many families with children being on vacation, so there is no need to take time away from school to visit Disneyland in Summer.
- Most rides and attractions will be open. There is likely to be fewer rides and attractions down for refurbishment in the summer and plenty happening to draw park visitors in.
- New attractions tend to open at the beginning of the summer along with new events and festivals. Be some of the first to experience any new attractions in the parks.
- Summer discounts tend to be good during the summer as Disney tries to entice guests to visit this time of year and take the pressure off the popular fall and holiday season.
Cons of a Summer Visit to Walt Disney World
- The heat and humidity in Florida is intense in the summer. Florida gets some of the worst humidity, rainfall, and high temperatures in the summer making the weather the biggest con. For folks that do not do well in the sun and heat, you should definitely reconsider visiting this time of the year. Hands down, this is the biggest con to visiting Walt Disney World in the summer- so much so that we've devoted an entire section of this guide to handling the heat during your visit!
- Rain in Florida is frequent in the summer so it's not a matter of “if” but “when” it rains. You can expect to experience rain most days of your trip which can be a negative for some folks.
- Travel groups tend to visit in larger numbers during the summer so you'll see everything from cheers sports groups and family reunions at the resorts and the parks. Sometimes these groups can be overwhelming especially if they're staying at the same resort as you.
How Hot is Disney World in the Summer?
Summer in Florida is one of the hottest and most humid times of the year which can make visiting Disney World in summer tricky when it comes to beating the heat.
The average temperature for June, July, and August is a high of 90 degrees with a low of 73 degrees. And then factor in the humidity which will be much higher in these summer months. The good news? The high humidity and heat will also bring afternoon rain which can help cool off the parks. But you can expect rain, it's a given when visiting Disney World in summer. July also takes the winning for both the hottest and wettest month all year at Disney World with August coming in at a close second.
Now hearing all this information about the heat and rain at Disney World in the summer can be enough to scare off anyone but the good news is you can beat the heat and find ways to cope to still have a great vacation! And there's plus sides to visiting during hot weather- more time to enjoy your resort pool or Disney World water parks!
Here's my best tips on surviving the heat at Disney World in the summer!
- Take an afternoon break from the theme parks when the heat becomes unbearable. This is the best thing you can do to make sure your day is enjoyable- don't try to power through! Go back to your resort for a swim, nap, or whatever your family needs to cool off.
- Find the air conditioning if you absolutely must stay all day without a break. Save indoor rides, shows, and shopping for the afternoon to get a brief break from the heat. One of my best tips is to schedule a table serve dining reservation for around 2PM so you know you have a guaranteed break indoors during the hottest part of the day.
- Find the water rides to cool off when the sun gets hot. But be prepared, ride wait times for water rides will skyrocket in the afternoon on high-temperature days but it's worth it! Don’t forget to pack a big Ziploc to store your camera, phone, and autograph book in! Nothing is worse than a wet autograph book! Find other recommendations on what to bring on your trip here.
- Make time for summer treats like a cold Dole Whip in Adventureland in Magic Kingdom or some ice-cream on Main Street, U.S.A. You can find plenty of great desserts around Disney World which often include a variety of cold treats which can be a quick respite from any warm day.
- Bring things to cool down like cooling towels, neck fans, and umbrellas to shade yourself from the sun. Buying these items in a gift shop at Disney will cost you much more than bringing them with.
- Wear comfortable clothing for hot weather like moisture wicking tanks and shorts. Think workout gear that's meant for breathability and comfort.
Plan Your Disney World Trip!
Let us help you get started planning your Disney World vacation! Subscribe to our free newsletter where you will get an earful of helpful planning information, exclusive Disney deals, and access to the lowest priced Disney tickets anywhere! You can find more information on planning your vacation here:
Disclosure: We have used all the products recommended on Mickey Visit. We may receive compensation when you click on links to some products featured.