Disney World in May starts to see the end of the spring season and the beginning of summer at Walt Disney World!
Everyone has personal preferences to consider when planning the date of their Walt Disney World trip- each season will have its pros and cons and guests’ choices will vary based on those. Make sure to read our Walt Disney World crowd calendar to get an idea of what to expect when picking a date to visit Walt Disney World.
Keep reading for everything you need to know about visiting Disney World in May including current events, what weather to expect, crowd level predictions, and what to pack!
Disney World Events in May
Here are all the current events to know about impacting Disney World in May!
H20 Nights kickoff at Typhoon Lagoon on May 28th! H20 Nights are themed after hours parties that are great for families and adults alike.
Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival
Spring continues to bloom at Disney World as the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival is happening during the entire month of May! This annual event brings beautiful gardens, playgrounds, and great entertainment. Even if you aren’t into gardening, be sure to get a picture by the freshly trimmed hedges near the Imagination pavilion.
Mother’s Day is always a popular day for Disneyland as many locals and tourists decide to spend that day in the parks. Make sure you secure your dining reservations in advance.
Memorial Day can be a popular day for Walt Disney World so come prepared to arrive early, use a touring plan, and reserve dining reservations.
Get A Free Vacation Quote!
Our favorite Disney-approved re-seller, Get Away Today, offers the best Walt Disney World discount tickets around. In addition to great discount prices, their customer service and easy support is absolutely fantastic. They have an entire department dedicated to making sure every order has a wonderful experience and they are on-call to help you during your vacation if you need them.
And at no additional charge, you get FREE concierge Walt Disney World services! These services include having Get Away Today’s Walt Disney World expert Brooklyn take care of all your dining reservations, FastPass+ reservations, and more! This really takes all the stress out of planning a Walt Disney World vacation. Rather than waking up at odd hours of the night to book all your reservations, why not let their travel agents take care of it for you- for free!
Buying tickets from Get Away Today is easy and convenient since all their tickets are sent electronically. You can take their vouchers and head straight to the gate without needing to wait in any ticket booth lines. They also offer layaway plans so you can pay off your vacation over time.
You can read my review on my personal experiences booking through Get Away Today and how much you can save here!
Disney World in May Crowd Calendar
May is the last month to see below average crowd levels before the summer season begins in June at Disney World. While this doesn’t mean the crowd levels are low by any means, they are much better in May than they will be throughout the summer since many schools are still in session. The earlier in the month you can visit, the better to avoid the higher crowd levels that come towards the end of the month.
Staying on site is a big plus for visiting Disney World in May so you can navigate the crowds much easier by being close by and taking advantage of any resort guest perks that may be offered.
Disney World Weather in May
Visiting Disney World in May brings with it more rain and storms as Florida moves closer to the summer/rainy season. It’s not unexpected to encounter storms with lightning, torrential rain, and thunder in the afternoon. The average high in May is 88 degrees with the average low being 69 degrees.
Even though the temperatures can be high and storms are possible, the humidity in May is still much less considerable than it is in the summer months making the heat a little more bearable. Visiting in May will be much more pleasant when it comes to weather as opposed to visiting in the summer months.
Tips for Visiting Disney World in May
When it comes to visiting Disney World in May, we have some tried and true hacks for having a magical time on your vacation.
What to Wear
One of the most frequently asked guest questions is: what should I wear to Disney World? Always check the weather leading up to your trip. May is just on the cusp of the tropical weather rain at Disney World so you should plan for hot days and potential for afternoon storms. Plan on wearing summer clothes and bringing rain ponchos with when you visit the parks so you’re prepared for any afternoon storms.
What to Pack
May brings such warm weather that you should pack for summer! Think summer clothes, sunscreen, cooling towels, and whatever else you might need to keep your family cooled off if the temperatures get high. Always check the weather right before your trip and come prepared based on what the forecast says.
You can read our giant packing list here to make sure you show up prepared for literally anything you need while you’re visiting Disney World.
What to Expect
There are a few things you should expect when choosing May as your month to visit Disney World:
- Make time for Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival- even if you’re not passionate about gardening, there’s plenty to see and do at this festival! Between tours of the beautiful Epcot gardens, dining, and rock concerts there is plenty to enjoy. Make advance dining reservations to ensure your spot for any of the offered dining packages.
- Look out for any ticket or hotel specials- Disney will often offer ticket discounts in the Spring months to entice guests to travel during what used to be known as an ‘off season.’ Many of these promotions sometimes will run through May so it’s good to watch for any special ticket deals you can find. Check our our discount Disney World hotel page to save money.
- Check your hotel dates- hotel prices will likely be higher on popular weekends like Memorial Day or Cinco de Mayo- play around with your dates if you have flexibility to secure the best deal.
- Reservations Required- Reservations are required along with a park ticket to visit Walt Disney World for each day of your visit. You can read more about how to make a reservation in our Disney World reservation guide.
- Genie+ Replaced FastPass- the new Genie+ system is what permanently replaced FastPass at Walt Disney World. This paid access allows you to virtually reserve your spot in line for many popular attractions and skip the longer standby line.
But most of all, remember to enjoy your time at the most magical place on earth!
Plan Your Disney World Vacation!
Keep reading our blog to keep you updated on everything you need to know to prepare for a Disney Parks vacation! We have a team of writers working hard to keep you updated weekly on events in the parks and tips for navigating the magic. Subscribe to our free deals newsletter to receive helpful planning information, exclusive Disney deals, and access to the lowest priced Disney tickets anywhere. You can find more information on planning your vacation here:
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Guide
- Discount Disney World Tickets
- Ultimate Guide to Disney World Hotels
- Epcot International Food and Wine Festival
- Top Budget Disney World Hotels
Disclosure: We have used all the products recommended on Mickey Visit. We may receive compensation when you click on links to some products featured.