The D23 Expo is the biggest Disney fan convention in the world and is held at the Anaheim Convention Center right near Disneyland. Disney just confirmed that the next D23 Expo, now renamed to just “D23,” will take place in 2024.
You can expect all the latest news about Disney, Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel plus breaking news about any upcoming Disney Parks projects! The event will be bigger than ever and will expand to better serve all guests interested in attending.
We will discuss when the next D23 Expo will happen, tips for how to navigate the D23 Expo, and as announcements come in, we’ll also be sharing all the latest news from the event here. Bookmark this guide as the event comes closer so you can tune in to stay on top of all the Disney news!
When is the next D23 Expo?
The next D23 Expo will take place August 9-11. The event will also include a D23 member event on August 8 inside Disneyland and an event at the Anaheim Angels baseball game on August 4. Additional events are also expected to be added throughout that week.
The event is being expanded dramatically this year to offer an entire week of events. The biggest change to the actual event setup is that the major presentations will be held at the Honda Center rather than at the Anaheim Convention Center. These events will be held in the evening each night of D23. On the Honda Center website, it states that the arena can hold 13,793 when setup in a stage-end capacity. This is almost double the capacity of the Hall D23 setup that has been used in recent years.
The major panel events will now take place in the evenings and guests will be moved from the Anaheim Convention Center to the Honda Center to enjoy. The result should be that all attendees get to experience the major presentations without having to wait long into the night to attend.
They were sure to make it clear that the Anaheim Convention Center would still play a key role with “daytime fun” which will likely include smaller presentations and the show floor. You can read more about this experience below.
Disney also shared that the name of the event will change to D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event. This is a correction that I am sure is based on ease for all to say but particularly because stars always referred to the event on stage as D23. Much easier to change the event name than to try to change what’s easiest for Emma Watson or Oprah.
Tickets go on sale for D23 next spring. Join our Mickey Visit newsletter for the latest in Disney news and this update.
Is there a 2023 D23 Expo?
There will not be a 2023 D23 Expo. This year, a smaller Destination D23 event will happen on September 8th-10th, 2023, which will be focused more on the Disney Parks and history.
D23 Expo Tips
For the next D23 Expo, we will share some tips that will help you navigate the event and make the most of your experience. Keep these in mind if you are planning on attending the event!
Arrive early. This is especially on the first day, as exclusive items will sell out faster, so make sure you get in line as soon as possible if there are certain merchandise exclusives you’d like to grab.
Come prepared with essential items you’ll need. We recommend bringing hand sanitizer, a battery pack for your phone, a Sharpie with paper for autographs in case you run into celebrities or industry icons on the show floor, a water bottle to stay hydrated (with refill stations available around the center), and a poster tube if you are planning on purchasing prints.
Wear comfortable shoes. Because you’ll be doing lots of walking on the hard floors of the Anaheim Convention Center, make sure your shoes are comfortable and supportive.
Make a list of things that are your priority. With so much to do and see at the D23 Expo, you won’t be able to get to everything. With panels overlapping, you might need to make some hard choices, but as information is released, you can start to make a list of which experiences you’d like to prioritize and backups.
Explore the D23 Expo show floor. Between the exhibits, shops, and more, there is so much to see that you don’t want to miss!
Look out for giveaways from the Walt Disney Animation / Pixar Animation booth. In past years, this booth has given away posters and other exclusive, limited-edition items and merchandise.
Add a day to Disneyland. Because the Anaheim Convention Center is so close to Disneyland, it’s worthwhile to spend the evenings at the park.
2022 D23 Expo Past Announcements
The 2022 D23 Expo took place September 9, 10 and 11.
- See our preview night photo tour of the D23 exhibit show floor from the D23 preview night including Walt’s Plane, Disney Archives Exhibit, and more!
- Splash Mountain retheme to Tiana’s Bayou Adventure NEW model and concept art!
- Disneyland’s Toontown redesign model released!
- First look at Mickey & Minnie’s Disney 100th Anniversary costumes!
- Details, cast announcements for Haunted Mansion Movie
- Inside Out sequel coming 2024
- INCREDIBLE Indiana Jones TRAILER, Harrison Ford Moved to Tears, Highlight of Disney Studios Presentation
Disney Parks Panel Announcements
Disney had an abundance of announcements during their Disney Parks panel regarding returning experiences, brand new innovations and more.
- Happily Ever After Fireworks Will Return to Walt Disney World in 2023!
- NEW Restaurant Coming to Downtown Disney
- Mandalorian and Grogu Coming to Disneyland Galaxy’s Edge!
- Paradise Pier Hotel New Name Revealed, New Restaurant Details
- Avengers Campus Third Attraction Details Revealed, New Character Coming Soon
- Disney100 Celebration Coming to Disneyland, New Nighttime Spectaculars
- Magic Happens Parade Returning to Disneyland
- runDisney returning to Disneyland
- Big Hero 6 Retheme Coming to Pacific Wharf at California Adventure
- Magic Kingdom Expansion Teases Villains, Coco, Encanto Themed Land
- Moana’s Journey of Water: NEW EPCOT Attraction Details
- Figment Meet and Greet to Return to EPCOT
- Moana & Zootopia Themed Lands Replacing Dinoland at Animal Kingdom!
2022 D23 Expo Fun Facts
- The name is from Disney (“D”) and the year the Company was founded, 1923 (“23”)
- This is the 7th D23 Expo Event!
- Including this year’s honorees, there are 304Disney Legends. The first Disney Legend inducted was Fred MacMurray in 1987.
- Throughout the Ultimate Disney Fan Event more than500performers and presenters will take to the stage during can’t-miss panels and presentations.
- More than 165 presentations, panels, concerts, demonstrations, meet-and-greets, and sneak peeks will take place during the Expo.
- Disney fans at home can enjoy more than26hours of livestream content from D23 Expo [LIVE],including more than10hours of exclusive[LIVE]Stage programming and 16 hours of other major presentations from the event.
- Overall, D23 Expo 2022 takes up over 1,000,000 square feet of the Anaheim Convention Center, including exhibit halls, stage venues, back-of-house operations, and queue space.
- A wide variety of new products curated for the ultimate Disney fan will make their debut at theD23 Expo in the new D23 Expo Marketplace, D23 Expo Marketplace–Third FloorLimitedEdition Annex, Mickey’s of Glendale Main Store, Mickey’s of Glendale Pin Store, Disney’sPublishing, Disney Studio Store Hollywood, and Disney Music Emporium
- There are 37 vendors in theD23 Expo Emporium, from fine art dealers and toy makers to travel agencies and Disney fan sites.
- More than 70 stars from all the worlds of Disney will be making appearances at D23 Expo 2022, including new and fan-favorite shows and films such asThe Proud Family: Louder and Prouder,Grey’s Anatomy, Disenchanted, Frozen, black-ish, Home Economics,Raven’s Home, Cesar Millan: Better Human, Better Dog,The Santa Clauses, Bob’s Burgers, and more.
Discount Disneyland Tickets
Our favorite Disney-approved re-seller, Get Away Today, offers the best Disneyland discount tickets around. In addition to great discount prices, their customer service and easy support is absolutely fantastic. They have an entire department dedicated to making sure every order has a wonderful experience and they are on-call to help you during your vacation if you need them.
Buying tickets from Get Away Today is easy and convenient since all their tickets are sent electronically. You can take their vouchers and head straight to the gate without needing to wait in any ticket booth lines. They also offer layaway plans so you can pay off your vacation over time.
You can read my review on my personal experiences booking through Get Away Today and how much you can save here!
2022 D23 Expo Panel List
Here is the full list of what the panels were at the 2022 D23 Expo:
Friday, September 9
- Inside Look at the Society of Explorers and Adventurers-10:30 a.m., Backlot Stage
- An inside look at the continuing development of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers — what it means in the Disney parks and how these stories continue to grow. Disney Imagineers are joined by Julie Kagawa to talk about her first two books in a series of novels that tie into the lore of S.E.A.
- Disney100– 10:30AM
- This panel kicks off the D23 Expo with a presentation that includes the Disney Legends Award Ceremony featuring Disney CEO Bob Chapek.
- “traceback”: Celebrating the People of Walt Disney Animation Studios- 2–3 p.m. on the Walt Disney Archives Stage
- The Walt Disney Animation Research Library presents “traceback,” a look at the lives and work as well as the artistic and technical contributions of women and employees of color throughout the history of Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- Disney Live Action, Pixar & Walt Disney Animation – 3:30PM
- Guests will get new details, first looks, sneak peeks, surprises and announcements regarding upcoming theatrical and Disney+ titles from Disney Live Action, Pixar Animation Studios, and Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- Panel will include studio heads, filmakers and cast members to discuss the most exciting titles announced.
- LOOKING AHEAD WITH THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS- 3:30PM, D23 Hall
- Disney Animation and Pixar are teaming up with Disney Live Action on Friday afternoon, welcoming thousands of Disney fans to Hall D23 for a special look at upcoming films and series.
- Pixar Animation Studios’ Chief Creative Officer Pete Docter and Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Chief Creative Officer Jennifer Lee will present never-before-seen footage, surprise announcements, musical performances, and appearances by all-star voice talent from the studios’ upcoming slate of original animated films and series. Fans will get an insider’s view at Pixar’s unique, perspective-shifting, long-form series Win or Lose, which launches on Disney+ next year.
- Pixar’s Peter Sohn, who helms the 2023 feature Elemental, will transport fans to a city where fire-, water-, land-, and air-residents live side by side.
- Disney Animation’s Academy Award®-winning director Don Hall will journey alongside fans deep into an uncharted and treacherous land with Strange World—releasing November 23—and Disney Animation and their collaborators from the Pan-African comic book company Kugali will reveal new details about Iwájú, a long-form sci-fi series set in Lagos, Nigeria, that launches on Disney+ next year.
- Cell phones, cameras, and all recording devices will be checked for this presentation.
Saturday, September 10
- Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm– 10AM
- Representatives from Marvel and Lucasfilm showcase theatrical and Disney+ titles along with behind the scenes and exclusive footage from new projects.
- A Peek Behind the Curtain at the Walt Disney Imagineering Illusions and Special Effects Development Lab-10 a.m., Walt Disney Archives Stage
- Learn about the legacy of Walt Disney Imagineering’s Illusions and Special Effects Development Lab, including the work created by Yale Gracey for the Haunted Mansion and other early projects, plus a behind-the-curtain look at the present-day magical process that is so unique to Imagineering.
- Uncovering Treasures from the Marty Sklar Collection- 12 p.m., Walt Disney Archives Stage
- Join Walt Disney Imagineering Ambassador Bob Weis and Leah and Leslie Sklar, the wife and daughter of the late Disney Legend and Imagineer Marty Sklar, as they discuss some of the treasures they’ve discovered while going through Marty’s collection from his more than 50 years with Walt Disney Imagineering.
- A Century of Storytelling at Walt Disney Animation Studios- 2-3PM
- The Walt Disney Animation Research Library celebrates 100 years of Disney Animation storytelling by highlighting the stories and people behind key art and artifacts in its collection.
- Dreaming, Designing and Bringing to Life the Disney Wish-4 p.m., Backlot Stage
- Disney Imagineers fresh off the launch of the newest ship in the Disney Cruise Line fleet — the Disney Wish — talk about their experiences bringing this ship to life. From the wondrously themed spaces and imaginative kids clubs to the first-ever Disney attraction at sea, the ship brings to life fantastical stories you know and love like never before.
- A Celebration of Disney Animation’s “Encanto”- 3:30–4:30 p.m. on the Premiere Stage
- Join the team behind Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Academy Award®-winning hit Encanto for stories behind the making of the film—and a few surprises!
- Branded Television- 3:30PM
- Presentation of an exclusive showcase of upcoming content featuring talent appearances and sneak previews for original content for Disney+, Disney Channel, and Disney Junior. This panel will also include looks at the new Disney+ series such as National Treasure, American Born Chinese, and The Santa Claus.
- Sneak Peek at “Zootopia+” from Walt Disney Animation Studios- 6–7 p.m. on the Backlot Stage
- Get a first look at the highly anticipated animated series Zootopia+, coming to Disney+ from Walt Disney Animation Studios, with directors Josie Trinidad and Trent Correy.
Sunday, September 11
- Disney Parks, Experiences and Products- 10:30AM
- Disney Parks Chairman Josh D’Amaro will share a look at new announcements and updates for Disney Parks around the world with behind-the-scenes “big dreams of Disney Imagineers.” This panel is said to be full of exciting news and surprises for Disney fans.
- Walt Disney Imagineering: 70 Years of Making the Impossible, Possible- 1 p.m., Premiere Stage
- For seven decades, the magic-makers at Walt Disney Imagineering have blended limitless imagination with cutting-edge technology to create groundbreaking experiences that bring together families and friends to create lifelong memories. Join Imagineers past and present as they discuss the core elements of storytelling and innovation that bring dreams to life for guests from all around the world.
- 100 Years of Treasures from the Walt Disney Animation Research Library- 2–3 p.m. on the Backlot Stage
- Never-before-seen clips, recording sessions, and live-action reference mark 100 years of Walt Disney Animation Studios as the Animation Research Library unveils newly digitized media from its collection and from its Oral History Project, in which the legends of animation have been interviewed.
- Disney Parks Through the Decades: A Disney Ambassador Perspective- 4 p.m., Walt Disney Archives Stage
- Join us for a conversation with Disney Ambassadors spanning the decades, including 1966 Disney Ambassador, Connie Lane, and 1971 Walt Disney World Ambassador, Debby Dane Browne. From representing Walt Disney at Disneyland in the 1960s, to opening Walt Disney World: experience the history of Disney Parks like never before.
- The World of Duffy & Friends Revealed-4:15 p.m., Hyperion Stage
- Disney Imagineers discuss the origin and continuing popularity of Duffy & Friends, including the newest friend who has become a global phenomenon — LinaBell!
- Princess – The Concert- 4:15PM
- Special performance of Disney Princess- The Concert featuring Tony nominee Susan Egan (Broadway’s original Belle in Beauty and the Beast, Meg in Disney’s animated feature Hercules), Broadway.com Audience Award nominee Isabelle McCalla (Princess Jasmine in Aladdin, The Prom), Disney Channel star Anneliese van der Pol (That’s So Raven, Raven’s Home, Broadway’s final Belle in Beauty and the Beast), and Broadway World Award winner Syndee Winters (Broadway’s Nala in The Lion King, Hamilton). Music director Benjamin Rauhala (Fiddler on the Roof, The Secret Life of Bees) and Prince Adam J. Levy (Moulin Rouge) will also join the quartet. The cast will perform favorite Disney Princess and Frozen songs, including classics such as “Part of Your World,” “Let It Go,” “A Whole New World,” “Colors of the Wind,” and “Almost There.”
- The performers will share exclusive, hilarious, and heartfelt behind-the-scenes stories from their time on the stage and screen.
Schedule and talent are subject to change.
Start Planning Your Disneyland Vacation!
The best way to get started is by subscribing to our FREE deals newsletter here. Subscribers receive helpful planning tips, Disney deals exclusive to our readers, and access to the lowest-priced park tickets around. Check out our other helpful resources for planning your trip:
Disclosure: We have used all the products recommended on Mickey Visit. We may receive compensation when you click on links to some products featured.