You're pregnant! First, congratulations to the parents-to-be! Second, no need to worry about putting vacation plans on hold for the near future. Visiting Disneyland while pregnant can be a memorable experience, complete with Disney magic.
And yes, I've been there. I was a cast member while pregnant and to this day, the coffee smells wafting along Main Street trigger unwanted memories. During my own pregnancy, I've learned a few tricks on de-stressing and just reveling in the Disney moment. Read further for some helpful tips for visiting Disneyland while pregnant.
Discount Disneyland Tickets
Our favorite Disney-approved re-seller, Get Away Today,offers the best Disneyland discount tickets around. In addition to great discount prices, their customer service and easy support is absolutely fantastic. They have an entire department dedicated to making sure every order has a wonderful experience and they are on-call to help you during your vacation if you need them.
Buying tickets from Get Away Today is easy and convenient since all their tickets are sent electronically. You can take their vouchers and head straight to the gate without needing to wait in any ticket booth lines. They also offer layaway plans so you can pay off your vacation over time.
You can read my review on my personal experiences booking through Get Away Today and how much you can save here!
Best Time to Visit When Pregnant
The best time to visit Disneyland while pregnant (or any other time) is when crowds are at a minimal. This can be can be tough to factor. If you're in the pre-planning stage, check with the crowd calendar for your optimal time frame. Less crowds equals less standing in longer queues and minimal stress on you and baby. If your trip is already planned prior to your good news, here at MickeyVisit, we can help with some tips to get you through a busier theme park.
If air travel is in your plans, check with your doctor prior. Obviously, you know yourself best. If you're feeling Disney-bound and you're physician decrees you're safe to fly, go for it. Remember to bring along a few extras for comfort. A small pillow and blanket will not only help on the plane but during your duration at the park. When selecting your seat, aim for the one near the bathroom. No explanation needed.
Dressing the Part
Depending on what time of year you plan to visit Disneyland Resort, your clothing choices may vary.
- Layers are the best year-round with loose comfortable pieces. The layers can help regulate your body temperature which can easily fluctuate when you're pregnant.
- Choose sturdy footwear to help you navigate throughout the parks. Bring an extra pair in case your feet begin swelling. Sneakers work best in the morning. Opt for sturdy sandals to switch out with later.
- Leave the heavy shoulder bags or totes at home and stick with a small backpack for essentials. This will provide more comfort and easier accessibility.
- Lockers are available for storing your extra clothes or other heavier essentials. (Or have your partner carry them).
Know before you go! It's best to know beforehand a few locations throughout the Resort you may need at any given moment. Both theme parks have first aid centers and baby care centers. If the weather, crowds, or exhaustion get the better of you, these venues can offer relieve. And, depending on how far along you are in your pregnancy, bathrooms can be your best friend. Knowing where the closest restroom is can alleviate some possible discomfort.
First Aid Centers
Disneyland's First Aid is located at Main Street ‘s end on the east side near Plaza Inn. Disney California Adventure's venue is next door to the Chamber of Commerce on Buena Vista Street. Nurses at these locations can administer over-the-counter medications and quick fixes if needed. If a nauseous tummy or too much heat cause discomfort, check with the nurses. If you're visiting Downtown Disney District and need help, contact the nearest cast member.
Before you enter the parks, download the Disneyland mobile app. You'll have everything you need at your fingertips including an absolute must when you're at Disneyland while pregnant- THE BATHROOM LOCATIONS! I'd suggest also taking a park map as you enter through the main gates for quick referencing as well. Both parks have their own maps. As you enter each land, stop and peruse your phone or map for the nearest restroom, just in case.
What Not To Ride When Visiting Disneyland While Pregnant
Okay- now the big question. What can (or can't) you ride at Disneyland while pregnant once you're inside the parks? Each attraction has specifics such as height restrictions, family-friendly, indoor, and thrill-ride just to name a few. Although the Resort does not have a pregnancy restriction on attractions, for safety reasons, Disney does offer “expectant mothers' advisory” guidelines. This list indicates the attractions you may want to skip over due to excessive motion or thrill level.
Disneyland Expectant Mothers' Advisory List
- Big ThunderMountain Railroad
- Gadget's Go-coaster
- Indiana Jones Adventure
- Matterhorn Bobsleds
- Space Mountain (and Ghost Galaxy version)
- Splash Mountain
- Star Tours- The Adventure Continues
Disney California Adventure Expectant Mothers' Advisory List
- Goofy's Sky School
- Grizzly River Run
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout!
- Radiator Springs Racers
Since every state of a pregnancy can offer challenges, look for attractions best suited for your pregnancy. From first trimester queasiness to the last few months of swollen ankles and a larger belly, finding the perfect attraction can be daunting.
But, no matter which attraction you do choose, read the advisory boards before getting in queue or ask the attending cast member. It's best to heed the advice not only for you but also for your little cargo.
Best Disneyland Attractions for Expectant Mothers
- Alice in Wonderland
- Casey Jr. Circus Train
- Haunted Mansion
- Jungle Cruise
- Main Street Vehicles
- The Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh
- Mark Twain Riverboat
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
- Peter Pan's Flight
- Pinocchio's Daring Journey
- Snow White's Scary Adventure
Several Disneyland Park attractions spin or may be difficult to navigate getting in and out so these are questionable depending on how you feel at the time.
- Astro Orbiter
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
- Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
- King Arthur's Carousel
- Mad Tea Party
- Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin
- Storybook Land Canal Boats
Best California Adventure Attractions for Expectant Mothers
- Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure
- Monster, Inc.
- Red Trolley
- Soarin' Around the World
- Toy Story Midway Mania
Again, a few attractions could be questionable for you due to spinning. It's best to assess yourself.
- Golden Zephyr
- Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters
- Jumpin' Jellyfish
- Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
- Pixar Pal-a-Round
- Silly Symphony Swings
Relaxing Options in Disneyland
If getting in and out of lines and attraction vehicles overwhelms you, take advantage of some of the more relaxing options Disneyland Resort offers. Several attractions and shows have air conditioning and are sit-down locations. When your family races to Space Mountain, you can take a few needed minutes for yourself elsewhere.
Relaxing Disneyland Spots
- Disneyland Railroad (outside)
- The Enchanted Tiki Room
- Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln
- “it's a small world”
- Main Street Cinema
- Story Telling at Royal Theater (outside venue)
Relaxing Spots in California Adventure
- Animation Building (Animation Academy and Turtle Talk with Crush)
- Boudin Bakery Tour (quick walking tour)
- Disney Junior Dance Party (benches are available in the back but go early so you don't end up sitting on the floor)
- Frozen Live at The Hyperion Theater
If your feet are up for it, you can stroll through the many shops and enjoy the air condition. You just may find the perfect Mickey Mouse or Princess outfit for your newest family member!
Avoiding Long Lines while Pregnant
So what if you do visit Disneyland while pregnant during the busy time? No need to worry as there are a few tricks and tips to help you navigate the crowds.
- Utilize FastPass which reserves a virtual spot in line.
- Purchase Disney MaxPass which is a feature that lets you select your FastPass options from your phone.
- Go early as possible for rope drop. Crowds are at a minimal which means shorter lines for you and your party.
- Take advantage of Magic Morning. Available with vacation packages and multi-day passes, Magic Morning lets you visit one of the theme parks an hour before actual opening.
- Check out our touring strategies for Disneyland and for California Adventure to help maximize your time. Simply skip what you can't ride and go on to the next!
General Tips for Expectant Mothers
Don't push yourself at Disneyland while pregnant. Listen to your body if you feel exhausted or discomfort. Here are a few good tips to keep in mind during your vacation.
- Bring along snacks to keep you regulated throughout the day and/or to help with nausea. Disneyland Resort has plenty of snack carts with healthy options including trail mix and fresh fruit selections. Bring your water bottle with you to refill throughout the day. Disneyland Park has two water bottle refill locations, one at Tomorrowland Terrace, and the second is at Mint Julep Bar. You can also stop in at any restaurant for a water refill.
- Take breaks when needed. Find a shady spot on Disneyland's Main Street or Disney California Adventure's Buena Vista Street to rest and put your feet up. Or, stop at one of the eating venues for something refreshing to drink.
- If exhaustion is taking over, consider returning to your hotel for a quick break. Indulge in a catnap to refresh your batteries, or take a dip in a cool pool.
- Rent a wheelchair or motorized scooter if needed (and available). If your party is staying in park all day and your hotel is too far, this is a viable option.
- Most of all, have fun! Relax, take photos and enjoy the vacation. Visiting Disneyland while pregnant is a rare occurrence you'll fondly reminisce with your child when older.
Plan Your Disneyland Vacation!
Don't forget the most important tip! Schedule a return trip with your newest family member so you can share your memorable experiences. Sing up for our newsletter which provides even more tips for the ultimate Disneyland Resort vacation.
- Disneyland with Babies
- Disneyland Discount Packages
- More FastPass Tips
- Disneyland MaxPass Guidelines
- Disneyland 2018 Halloween
Disclosure: We have used all the products recommended on Mickey Visit. We may receive compensation when you click on links to some products featured.