Disney World TRON Virtual Queue Tips and Strategy 2023 – How Virtual Queue Works
TRON Lightcycle / Run will use a virtual queue when it opens this spring at Walt Disney World. This is now the common approach we've seen for new Disney attractions like the Guardians ride in EPCOT and Rise of the Resistance.
A standby queue will not be available when the ride initially opens meaning a virtual queue is your only free option to ride! Keep reading for all the details on the Walt Disney World TRON virtual queue.
TRON Lightcycle / Run Opening Date
TRON Lightcycle / Run officially opens in Walt Disney World on April 4th. This new rollercoaster is coming to Tomorrowland in Magic Kingdom which will be a great addition to the area.
Though TRON doesn't officially open until April 4th, Disney just announced that TRON will have soft openings from now until April 2, 2023. Disney says that guests may have the opportunity to launch into the grid on a TRON Lightcycle during this period. The previews began on March 20th. On the first day the virtual queue for TRON sold out in 3 seconds. That's why these tips for the virtual queue are so important.
Both the Individual Lightning Lane and TRON virtual queue (as detailed below) will be utilized during the soft opening period for the TRON attraction. A normal standby queue will not be offered. The attraction will not be open during Magic Kingdom Extended Evening Hours or the After Hours events at Magic Kingdom during the soft opening period
This attraction will also be the first of its kind to use a locker system for your belongings as the TRON Lightcycles only have a compartment small enough to hold a cellphone, sunglasses, or keys. You can read more about the ride and what to expect in our full guide to the TRON Lightcycle / Run.
Free Disney World Vacation Quote
Our favorite Disney-approved re-seller, Get Away Today, can get you a no obligation Disney World vacation quote for free! In addition to great discount prices, their customer service and easy support is absolutely fantastic. They have an entire department dedicated to making sure every order has a wonderful experience and they are on-call to help you during your vacation if you need them.
And at no additional charge, you get FREE concierge Walt Disney World services! These services include having Get Away Today's Walt Disney World expert Brooklyn take care of all your reservations and price monitoring for your trip. This really takes all the stress out of planning a Walt Disney World vacation. Rather than waking up at odd hours of the night to book all your reservations, why not let their travel agents take care of it for you- for free!
Get A Free Vacation Quote Now!
You can read my review on my personal experiences booking through Get Away Today and how much you can save here!
Walt Disney World TRON Lighting Lane
TRON does not offer a standby line and can only be accessed with the virtual queue or for purchase via the Disney Genie+ Individual Lightning Lane. This means that this ride is not included in the general cost per day for Genie+ but is available at a separate cost. On the first day of operation, Disney charged $20 per person for TRON Lightcycle Run Individual Lightning Lane access.
If you're staying on-site at a Walt Disney World hotel then you can purchase your access to the ride beginning at 7AM which gives you an advantage of other guests as those staying off-site will have to wait until they enter the park to purchase Lightning Lane access. This ride is already in high demand so if you plan on securing your spot via Lightning Lane plan on doing it right away. On the first day of operation, the Individual Lightning Lanes for the first drop at 7AM sold out within ten minutes.
If you want to avoid paying to ride, then your best bet is to join the TRON virtual queue. Keep reading for my best tips for success for virtual queues at Walt Disney World.
Disney World TRON Virtual Queue Tips
Walt Disney World's TRON virtual queue is accessible through your cellphone. You have two chances to access to the TRON virtual queue for a boarding group on a normal operating day at Magic Kingdom. On days when extended evening hours are offered, Deluxe Resort Hotel guests will have an additional opportunity to secure a boarding group.
- Starting at 7AM, guests with a Magic Kingdom park reservation can access a boarding group via the My Disney Experience App. Guests can access this virtual queue from their hotel room.
- Starting at 1PM, there will be another opportunity to join the virtual queue for those that didn't get a chance to access the boarding group at 7AM. Guests must be inside Magic Kingdom to access the 1PM virtual queue.
- On select dates starting at 6 pm guests attending Walt Disney World extended evening theme park hours (this is a benefit just for Deluxe hotel guests) will have the opportunity to join the TRON virtual queue.
- Guests will only be able to access TRON once per day using the virtual queue. If you want to ride twice, purchase a Lighting Lane reservation for a second ride!
How to Get a Boarding Group to TRON Lightcycle Run
- First, make sure you have the My Disney Experience app. Double-check that all your tickets are linked to your app and that you have a valid Park Pass Reservation for Magic Kingdom.
- A few minutes before the official time (7AM or 1PM) log into the app and click on the ‘join' button for “TRON Virtual Queue”- I would do this a few times going back and forth, I found this helped my phone load the page quicker when the time came when we used this trick for Rise of the Resistance. This is also a good time to ensure you are logged in so I would make sure you log out and log back in, just to be safe.
- Wait until exactly when the clock hits 7AM, click on ‘join'- this brings you to the main screen where you will click ‘join' again and then a screen will show your party- no need to stop to select them, they will be preselected, and then hit join again. Disney runs on Apple time so you'll want to either have an iPhone up on the home screen looking at the clock app to see the second hand count down to 7 AM or 1PM or have Time.gov pulled up (both of these sources countdown the seconds in the same way).
- This process should literally take 1-2 seconds- groups go fast, be ready to push those buttons quickly!
- Make sure push notifications are turned on for My Disney Experience so you will be alerted if your group is called to return. You’ll have up to an hour from the time of the alert to go to the entrance of attraction
- Please note that joining the virtual queue does not guarantee the ability to experience TRON Lightcycle Run. Though Disney offers this disclaimer about boarding groups and the virtual queue for TRON, Disney does their best to ensure that all guests have the opportunity to take advantage of their boarding group.
For more on how to maximize your time in Magic Kingdom, check out our Magic Kingdom itinerary for touring tips.
TRON Virtual Queue Frequently Asked Questions
What is a virtual queue? A virtual queue is just a way to stand in line virtually through the Disney Parks app. You will then be notified via the app when it's your turn to ride.
What is a Boarding Group? The term Boarding Group is used by Disney to designate the groups of people throughout the day that will ride the attraction. The number of your Boarding Group determines what time of day you will ride.
For example, if you receive TRON Boarding Group 3 you would be one of the first groups on the attraction that day. A Boarding Group of a higher number would ride later in the day. The app will sometimes give you a time estimate so you can plan. But if you receive a low number, plan on being at the park right at start of the day so you don't miss your time.
I got a backup TRON Boarding Group, what does that mean? If you get a backup Boarding Group, this means you're not predicted to ride the attraction, but that you're on a virtual waitlist. If some folks no show or the ride gets through its existing Boarding Groups successfully then they will start calling those in the backup groups. Usually this means, if you do get called, it would be later in the day.
What time do I get my Boarding Group? Guests can access the virtual queue at both 7AM and 1PM from the app.
Can I ride the attraction more than once? Guests can only receive one Boarding Group per day bur you can also purchase Individual Lightning Lane access for the attraction if you want to ride more than once!
What if I'm at a restaurant when my Boarding Group for TRON is called? Just find a cast member and explain the situation to them, they will accommodate you if you're in the middle of a dining reservation.
How long do I have to make it back to the ride when my Boarding Group is called? You have a one hour return time but if you're in the middle of a dining reservation or other reservation and you're worried you may be late- talk to a cast member.
What if I miss my Boarding Group time? You can ask a cast member if you can be put in a later Boarding Group but there's no guarantees- do not miss your Boarding Group time!
What time will I get to ride if I get a Boarding Group? The Disney app will give you an estimated return so you can plan your day.
How long will I have to wait in line when my Boarding Group is called? It varies but the general rule of thumb is the earlier your Boarding Group is the shorter your wait might be.
Can I get the 1PM Boarding Group from outside the park? No, you need to be scanned into Magic Kingdom.
What if I have problems with the Disney World app? If you have any glitches with the app, take screenshots, and see a Disney Guest Experience Team (blue umbrellas and blue shirts) to see if there's anything they can do. There's no guarantee but can't hurt to try.
If multiple people in my family are trying to get a Boarding Group do we need separate Disney accounts? You can all use the same account.
Will me and my family all get the same Boarding Group? Yes, everyone in your party will be in the same Boarding Group.
Will the app automatically select those from my Family/Friends list when I try for a Boarding Group? Yes, the app will usually auto-select those that have a park reservation- do not stop to check as this will slow you down and you'll miss your chance!
Should I use wifi or cellular data for getting my virtual queue? Walt Disney World guests can have success with either option. You can run an internet speed test from your phone using a free website to see which is faster.
What cellphone model and carrier is best? There doesn't seem to be any significant advantage when it comes type of cellphone or carrier. It's assumed that guests with newer phones, which likely have faster speeds, tend to do better than older models. But this isn't always true- sometimes it's just random.
Someone on my group list didn't show up when we got our Boarding Groups, now what do I do? This is a glitch that does happen frequently, just go talk to a Disney Guest Experience Team member and they can add them to your Boarding Group party.
Can someone from home help me get a Boarding Group? Actually, yes they can! If they have your log in information for your Disney app so they can hep you get a Boarding Group. Since the app uses your Park Pass reservation to confirm the 7AM eligibility and that you've scanned into the park for 1PM, someone else could try using your log in.
Plan Your Walt Disney World Vacation!
We hope you enjoyed our Beaches and Cream dining review! Be sure to subscribe to our deals newsletter for all of the latest information on deals and saving tips to help you save money and experience more! Sign up here. Check out our other Disney World articles:
Disclosure: We have used all the products recommended on Mickey Visit. We may receive compensation when you click on links to some products featured.