Disneyland has endured the longest closure in it's history due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a phased reopening is on the horizon for the Happiest Place on Earth! While we still do not have an official opening date yet, we are starting to get an idea of what to expect what the parks do open back up to guests.
Keep reading our guide for everything you need to know about the new policies in place, exclusive come back travel discounts, and how to still plan for a magical vacation.
Disneyland Opening Date Details
With some Disney operations resuming operations this month, Shanghai Disneyland and Disney Springs in Orlando, it's time to start thinking about how the process will look for Disneyland opening!
Currently, Disneyland is taking reservations beginning July 1st and onward while still honoring June reservations. Time will tell if travel to the resort will still be possible in June but we are optimistic a phased reopening date is on the horizon.
This year will definitely be different in regards to our usual crowd patterns and only time will tell if the summer, Halloween, and Holiday season crowds will behave as normally. With reduced capacity limitations on the horizon, it may in fact be a perfect time to visit during a usually crowded time (I'm looking at you New Years Eve!) and have a great experience.
Disneyland New Policy Updates
Disney's Chief Medical Officer Dr. Pamela Hymel announced Disney is working with colleagues in operations, local health and government authorities and US Travel Association on a set of guidelines to ensure the safety of guests during a phased Disneyland opening.
These measures include:
- Phased reopening: Disney is evaluating their individual locations on how to best begin the reopening process which may include a gradual reopening and/or partial reopening of certain locations. For example, the opening of retail and dining locations prior to the opening of theme parks.
- Physical distancing and capacity measures: Managing guest density in queues, restaurants, hotels, ride vehicles and other facilities throughout the park and across the resort. These measures will be taken to implement physical distancing guidelines based on guidance from health authorities, such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and appropriate government agencies. This will also likely include implementation of guest capacity measures to comply with state and federal guidelines. Disney is exploring the use of technology to aid with these efforts with the use of the Disney App that we've seen used for virtual queues at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Cleanliness and sanitization: Increased cleaning and disinfection, determining where that should take place (for example, in high-traffic areas), and the cleaning products and processes used.
- Screening and prevention support: Following guidance from the government and the medical community regarding enhanced screening procedures and prevention measures, including those related to personal protective equipment (PPE), such as face coverings. Some measures, like adding hand sanitizers and hand washing stations across the resorts, have already been implemented.
- Cast training: Further emphasizing Disney's strong culture of health and safety amongst cast members, and continuing to provide new training and reinforcement closer to reopening.
It's important to note that Disney is doing their best to create a safe environment for guests and cast members for Disneyland opening while also keeping the experience as magical as possible. Remember: these restrictions won't be in place forever.
Disney CEO Bob Chapek was quoted in an interview confirming that the masks procedure will likely be in place at Disneyland and Walt Disney World as part of these new preventative procedures. You can watch the full interview here to see his remarks on the Shanghai Disneyland reopening and how that will model decisions for the US parks.
Disney Springs Phased Re-Opening
- Limited parking and reduced entrances
- Temperature screenings prior to entry
- Face coverings required for everyone
- All Guests ages 3 and older, Cast Members and Operating Participant employees are required to wear an appropriate face covering. Guests must bring their own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining.
- Physical distancing practices including physically-distanced queues and physical barriers
- Temporary operation modifications, including reduced hours at select locations and no scheduled entertainment offerings or high-touch interactive areas
- An increased focus on disinfecting and sanitation, including the addition of hand-washing stations and hand sanitizers in key areas
While this reopening isn't happening in California, it's helpful to look to Disney Springs as an example for what possibly preventative health measures that Disney may incorporate at other theme parks.
Discount Disneyland Tickets
Our favorite Disney-approved re-seller, Get Away Today,offers the best Disneyland discount tickets around. In addition to great discount prices, their customer service and easy support is absolutely fantastic. They have an entire department dedicated to making sure every order has a wonderful experience and they are on-call to help you during your vacation if you need them.
Disneyland ticket deals:
- Kids Sale – Disneyland has extended their kid's spring sale to be valid for travel through December 15, 2020. Must be booked by May 18, 2020. Book HERE >
- Extra Day Free – Get your 5th day free when you book a 4-day Disneyland ticket of any type. Book HERE >
Buying tickets from Get Away Today is easy and convenient since all their tickets are sent electronically. You can take their vouchers and head straight to the gate without needing to wait in any ticket booth lines. They also offer layaway plans so you can pay off your vacation over time.
You can read my review on my personal experiences booking through Get Away Today and how much you can save here!
Get Away Today Comeback Offers for Anaheim Area Hotels
Local Anaheim area hotels are offering unprecedented discount rates to offer incentive for travel for the rest of the 2020 year. Now is a great time to get a fantastic deal on a fabulous Good Neighbor hotel near Disneyland.
We often stay at these Anaheim area hotels and have magical experiences. Some of these local area hotels are even closer to the resort than the official resort hotels. When you book with Get Away Today you get even more reduced rates along with the potential of other perks like free parking, breakfast, waived resort fees, and more.
Anaheim Area Hotel Offers – Must be booked by May 31, 2020
- Clarion Hotel – Heavily Discounted Rates on All Room Types
- Castle Inn & Suites – 3rd Night Free
- Courtyard Theme Park Entrance Waterpark – Reduced Rates on All Room Types
- Courtyard Anaheim Resort Convention Center – 20% Reduced Rates
- Clementine Suites Anaheim – 25% Reduced Rates on All Rooms Types
- Anaheim Springhill Suites Maingate – 20% Off Rates (2 night min) and 30% Off Rates (4 night min)
- Cambria Hotel & Suites Anaheim – Reduced Rates on All Room Types
Other Southern California Attractions
- Knott's Berry Farm – Get Adults at Kids' Prices – Just $59 per person
- Universal Studios Hollywood™ – Save up to $34 per ticket
- LEGOLAND® California Resort – 2nd Day Free on Park Hopper Ticket with Water Park
- SeaWorld San Diego – Weekday Special Ticket for $55.99
You can read some of our staff reviews on a few of our favorite neighboring hotels within walking distance to Disneyland below:
- Clarion Review
- Howard Johnson Anaheim Review
- Best Western PLUS Park Place Inn & Mini-Suites Review
- Get Away Today Service Review
With so many hotels to choose from, you can find a great deal for a place that fits your family with these amazing comeback offers. Click here to start your vacation planning!>
Disneyland Resort Hotels Discount Offer
Disney is offering guests (that were planning to stay on-site) special discount options when they re-book their vacation for both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
For guests that booked a Walt Disney Vacation travel package for the Disneyland Resort during the duration of the closure are eligible for discounts and offers including:
- Select guests will be able to book a special Disneyland Resort offer for most arrival dates from June 1st through December 31st, 2020. Some exclusions may apply.
- The offer applies to weekdays, Sunday through Thursday. Eligible guests can receive up to 10% off at Paradise Pier Hotel for a premium room or 20% off a premium room at the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian. Guests also have the choice of 15% off a standard room at the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian.
- Guests that cancelled before March 1st are not eligible for this offer.
- Additional discounts may apply such as $50 per night credit for resort fees, check with a cast member for the most up to date information- there's been varying reports of what discounts guests have received.
- You can call (714) 520-5050 to learn more and book this offer.
Keep in mind that the discounts offered have been fluid and changing often, your best bet is to call with your reservation information to see what the best deal is.
You can read our staff reviews for the three on-site Disneyland property hotels below:
- Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa Review
- Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel Review
- Disney's Disneyland Hotel Review
If you can take advantage of this offer, you should do it! We've heard plenty of positive responses to this offer with varying experiences including gift cards offered by Disney in addition to the great rates.
What to Expect in 2020 for Disneyland Opening
The coronavirus pandemic caused many construction projects to be delayed so one of the biggest questions on guests' minds is how this year will pan out with everything we've been looking forward to on Disneyland's schedule.
We are still waiting on a new re-opening date for Avengers Campus. Before the closure, Disney announced an opening date of July 18th and then quietly removed that date from the official website. As of now the website for Avengers Campus still just reads ‘opening soon' but we anticipate we'll have a reopening date when we get more official news from Disney on the opening of the resort. It's hard to say when that will be because this project was likely delayed due to the halt of construction as well but I'm hopeful it will be in 2020! Read all about Avengers Campus here!>
Disney was in the middle of a few major and minor refurbishments before the closure for popular attractions like Haunted Mansion and Snow White's Scary Adventures. Snow White was more than a run of the mill refurbishment as Disney announced additional scenes added to the ride. All we can do is watch the Disneyland calendar on this one- it's safe to say that these refurbishments are still in need of completion and the opening dates for these attractions will have been delayed.
Halloween and Holiday Season
Normally the tickets for the special Halloween ticketed event, Oogie Boogie Bash, should have gone on sale by now. This isn't necessarily a cause for panic that we haven't seen these tickets go on sale though! Disney is likely putting all ticketed event sales on hold until we have an official reopening date. There's no indication that these events won't take place. Remember, only trust Disney as your official source of information.
The Halloween and Holiday season at the Disneyland Resort are a favorite time to visit for many guests. We have personally pushed our own summer vacation to the Christmas season and I have high hopes that things will work out. The holidays are still a long way off, we expect that things will be in swing (even if there are restrictions) by this popular time of year.
Tips for Planning a Disneyland Vacation During this Unusual Time
We get it- planning a vacation right now is difficult. It's hard to anticipate what the world will look like in a few weeks much less a few months away. All you can do is go into this with a balance of optimism and plan realistically! We have a few tips to help you- many of our own staff has had their vacations impacted by the closure so much of this advice is based on our own personal experiences!
Take Advantage of the Discounts Offered
Disney is offering guests (that were planning to stay on-site) special discount options when they re-book their vacation. The results of this discount have been off the charts from what we've been told with discounts up to 20% off rooms, $50 per night credit for resort fees, gift cards, and more. If you were planning to stay on-site and your travel was interrupted, call (714) 520-5050 to learn more and book this offer.
Get Away Today is also offering an enormous amount of offers right now including heavily discounted tickets and special comeback offers for local area hotels. The local Anaheim economy depends on tourism from Disneyland guests and the area hotels are providing many incentives for guests to visit in 2020.
Seriously, this is the year to visit Disneyland and save a bucket load of money. If you want to visit this year take advantage of these offers!
Book Airlines with Refundable Options
If you're rebooking a trip through an airline or booking one for the first time, many of the airlines are being pretty generous on waiving change fees for rebooking and offering flexible options. Another thing I noticed when researching all these new policies in affect due to the COVID-19 concerns, many airlines are extending this flexibility to future travel which can help reassure customers that if this continues to impact travel- you can get a refund.
Whatever you end up needing to book whether it is airfare, shuttle tickets, etc. make sure that it is all refundable so you can plan with peace of mind.
Get Refundable Tickets and Hotel Options
This is one of the reasons why I absolutely love Get Away Today! We often plan our Disney vacations up to a year in advance and they offer so many great add on options to cover an unexpected circumstances.
Get Away Today offers refundable ticket options for an additional $25 per ticket purchase which allows you the option of refunding your park tickets! This is a great way to ease any hesitation about planning your Disney Parks vacation. Park tickets are also valid through 2020 and can be rescheduled. They are the only ticket reseller that offers the refundable ticket option.
If you book your hotel and tickets through Get Away Today, consider purchasing their Peace of Mind package which allows you full refundability on your hotel and any tickets in your vacation package. I always use this option regardless because you never know what might come up. But also keep in mind, if your travel was or will be impacted by a closure Get Away Today will work with you on rescheduling with no penalty fees. They have been absolutely fantastic to everyone during this- I cannot applaud them enough. Support a small business and book with them for your trip!
You can contact 855-GET-AWAY for more information and get things rolling to plan your trip for Disneyland opening!
Plan Your Disneyland Opening Vacation!
Keep reading our blog to keep you updated on everything you need to know to prepare for Disneyland opening! We have a team of writers working hard to keep you updated weekly on events in the parks and tips for navigating the magic. Subscribe to our free deals newsletter to receive helpful planning information, exclusive Disney deals, and access to the lowest priced Disney tickets anywhere. You can find more information on planning your vacation here: