MagicBands are waterproof/adjustable wristbands you see guests wearing all over Walt Disney World. These bands allow guests to link all their Disney info directly to this bracelet to keep them hands free while in the parks.
Here is everything to need to know about MagicBands including features and what guests are eligible to use their MagicBand to charge purchases.
Our guide also covers the free service called MagicMobile which guests can use with their phone in place of a MagicBand plus everything you need to know about the new MagicBand+ which includes ways to interact with the park using your MagicBand.
Discount Walt Disney World Tickets
Our favorite Disney-approved re-seller, Get Away Today, offers the best Walt Disney World discount tickets around. In addition to great discount prices, their customer service and easy support is absolutely fantastic. They have an entire department dedicated to making sure every order has a wonderful experience and they are on-call to help you during your vacation if you need them.
And at no additional charge, you get FREE concierge Walt Disney World services! These services include having Get Away Today’s Walt Disney World expert Brooklyn take care of all your dining reservations and more! This really takes all the stress out of planning a Walt Disney World vacation. Rather than waking up at odd hours of the night to book all your reservations, why not let their travel agents take care of it for you- for free!
Buying tickets from Get Away Today is easy and convenient since all their tickets are sent electronically. You can take their vouchers and head straight to the gate without needing to wait in any ticket booth lines. They also offer layaway plans so you can pay off your vacation over time.
You can read my review on my personal experiences booking through Get Away Today and how much you can save here!
New MagicBand+ Features Interactive Storytelling
The new MagicBand+ has launched at Walt Disney World! This new edition of the beloved MagicBand creates new interactive experiences around the resort.
Disney Resort hotel guests and Walt Disney World Annual Passholders have the option to purchase MagicBand+ at a discounted, pre-arrival price. All guests can buy MagicBand+ at select stores across Walt Disney World and online at shopDisney, starting at $34.99.
Guests may continue to use their existing MagicBand and Disney MagicMobile. The original MagicBand product is available as well.
MagicBand+ still has all the same features as the MagicBand including park and hotel entry, retail and dining charging options for hotel guests plus can be used with Genie+ and PhotoPass too.
The new MagicBand+ comes alive throughout the park with color changing lights, vibrations, gesture recognition which enhances the environment’s storytelling.
Interactive Storytelling MagicBand+
- Disney Fab 50 Quest- Scavenger hunt throughout the four Walt Disney World theme parks using MagicBand+ to interact with the golden character sculptures. With the Play Disney Parks app, guests can dive deeper into the experience to find hints and keep track of sculptures which will unlock digital achievements, including an augmented reality feature.
- Star Wars: Batuu Bounty Hunters- Guests can join the Batuu Bounty Hunters’ Guild in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Find numerous virtual bounties hidden throughout Black Spire Outpost and follow the band’s light patterns and haptics to complete missions. Then return to the local guild master, who will reward you with galactic credits. Guests can also use the Play Disney Parks mobile app to help reveal virtual bounty using the app’s built-in augmented reality thermal viewer.
- Nighttime Spectaculars- Bands light up during nighttime spectaculars, including “Harmonious” at EPCOT and “Disney Enchantment” at Magic Kingdom Park. MagicBand+ will also engage as all four theme park icons transform into Beacons of Magic for Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary.
I imagine that more experiences will continue to be added over time making the MagicBand+ a really cool upgrade for the MagicBand!
Walt Disney World MagicBand Options
MagicBands are colorful, waterproof wristbands that resembles a bracelet or watch. MagicBands contain a NFC chip which contains data that is linked to your Disney account. Think of it in the same way you might use Apple Pay or Google Pay on a smart watch as the technology is similar. These secure devices are a Disney guest’s “all in one” for accessing plans and vacation choices while in the parks and at the resort hotels. Guests will use their bands to easily touch to a sensor which is called a touch point.
There are various options now to utilize this touchpoint system:
- MagicBand- the original option, waterproof and adjustable wristband which is in sold in a variety of colors and styles.
- MagicBand+ – has all the features of the original MagicBand but with new technology that allows guests to interact with new areas around the parks. The MagicBand+ also has a rechargeable battery giving it a longer lasting lifespan than regular MagicBands.
- MagicBand Card- MagicBand cards work just like the bands but resemble a credit card or driver’s license.
- Magic Mobile– Guests can use Disney’s My Experience App to access a digital MagicBand if they prefer to use their phone.
Disney MagicBand Features
One of my favorite things about using a MagicBand is how hands free I can be while in the parks. Here are all the features your MagicBand includes:
- Waterproof for pools and water rides
- Customizable and includes exclusive designs for Annual Passholders
- Unlocks your Disney Resort hotel room door
- Tap to enter theme parks with valid park admission
- Check in at Lightning Lane entrances and virtual queues
- Tap to pay for purchases at the parks or your Disney Resort hotel
- Links your Disney PhotoPass photos
- This includes your ride attraction photos which are automatically loaded to your account if you are wearing your MagicBand on the ride!
The waterproof feature was one of my favorite things when we spent a day at Blizzard Beach. I left my wallet and all valuables at the hotel room. Being hands free at the water park all day was great!
The MagicBand+ includes all the above features plus:
- Unlocks enchanting interactions throughout Walt Disney World Resort
- Has a rechargeable battery
Only Walt Disney World hotel guests can charge purchases to their MagicBands. Keep in mind when charging purchases to your MagicBand, your card on file with the resort will be charged in $100 increments. So if your charges are at $105 then a $200 pending hold will be put on your card until your hotel bill is finalized.
Link a MagicBand to Your Disney Account
Once a guest has purchased a MagicBand, they can link it to their Disney account. Guests simply need to create or sign into their Disney account and link their bands. You can either do this from the app or by logging into your account on the Walt Disney World website. The number to link your MagicBand is on the back of the band- on the opposite side of the Mickey Mouse symbol.
If you purchase your MagicBand directly through your linked hotel reservation then your MagicBand will be automatically linked for you so you will be all set when it arrives. I always like to double check though, just in case there’s no surprise issues!
MagicBands for Genie+
The best thing about using a MagicBand? You can use them to access your Genie+ reservations throughout the park! All you do is touch your band to the MagicBand censor and you’re good to go.
This is especially helpful since you can be hands free and not be held up digging for your parks tickets when accessing your Lightning Lane reservations. This feature also helps cast members create order for guests lining up to experience the most popular attractions.
The more hands free I am in the park, the happier I usually am.
Plan Your Walt Disney World Vacation
Love a good deal? Be sure to check out our Disneyland and Disney World deals newsletter for all of the latest information on deals and saving tips. For more planning tips on visiting Walt Disney World and any Disney theme park, sign up today for our FREE MickeyVisit newsletter. Also, check out these planning tips for Disney World with these links:
- Walt Disney World Cheap Food Guide
- MagicBand+ at Disneyland Guide – Is the band worth the extra charge?
- Discount Walt Disney World Tickets
- Walt Disney World Character Guide
- Guide to Epcot Food and Wine Festival
- Guide to Walt Disney World Transportation
Disclosure: We have used all the products recommended on Mickey Visit. We may receive compensation when you click on links to some products featured.