Walt Disney World in September 2023: Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party, Weather, What to Expect
Disney World in September is always a popular month for guests to visit as we start to see the Halloween decorations go up in the Magic Kingdom.
Everyone has personal preferences to consider when planning the date of their Walt Disney World trip- each season will have its pros and cons and guests' choices will vary based on those. Make sure to read our Walt Disney World crowd calendar to get an idea of what to expect when picking a date to visit Walt Disney World.
Keep reading for everything you need to know about visiting Disney World in September including current events, what weather to expect, crowd level predictions, and what to pack!
Disney World Events in September
Here are all the current events to know about impacting Disney World in September!
Fall Fun and Halloween
There will be seasonal offerings like decor, Halloween-themed cavalcade, themed treats, and costumes are welcome! You can read all about the new offerings including spooky treats, costumes guidelines, and merchandise offerings in our Disney World at Halloween guide.
Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party will take place on select dates throughout the month of October at Magic Kingdom. This special ticketed Halloween event features special Halloween entertainment, fireworks, character meet and greets, trick or treating and more!
Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
You can read all about this delicious festival in our guide on Mickey Visit. You can expect to see a large variety of wine, international foods, culinary demonstrations, and other special themed events.
Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary
Disney World's 50th Anniversary will continue with special entertainment fireworks show and new additions to Walt Disney World.
Discount Walt Disney World Tickets
Our favorite Disney-approved re-seller, Get Away Today, offers the best Walt Disney World discount tickets around. In addition to great discount prices, their customer service and easy support is absolutely fantastic. They have an entire department dedicated to making sure every order has a wonderful experience and they are on-call to help you during your vacation if you need them.
And at no additional charge, you get FREE concierge Walt Disney World services! These services include having Get Away Today's Walt Disney World expert Brooklyn take care of all your dining reservations, FastPass+ reservations, and more! This really takes all the stress out of planning a Walt Disney World vacation. Rather than waking up at odd hours of the night to book all your reservations, why not let their travel agents take care of it for you- for free!
Find discount Walt Disney World tickets here!
Buying tickets from Get Away Today is easy and convenient since all their tickets are sent electronically. You can take their vouchers and head straight to the gate without needing to wait in any ticket booth lines. They also offer layaway plans so you can pay off your vacation over time.
You can read my review on my personal experiences booking through Get Away Today and how much you can save here!
Disney World in September Crowd Calendar
Due to the popularity of the Halloween season at the Magic Kingdom, it's safe to say you can expect high crowd levels during this month but maybe not quite as high during October as it gets closer to the actual date of Halloween.
Guests visiting the Magic Kingdom in September also have the extra hurdle of Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. If you don't have a party ticket, you will be asked to leave the park around 5pm. It's important to plan ahead for those dates so you have a plan in place for once the party starts. In the past the first start of the day before the Halloween party is actually low in crowd levels as many party goers don't enter the parks until later in the day when their Halloween party ticket allows saving them the cost of a full day ticket. It can actually be a wise decision to start off the day early at the park hosting the Halloween party to beat some of those crowds.
At the very least, it's always best to prepare for crowds and be pleasantly surprised if it's slower than expected!
Disney World Weather in September
Disney World in September can actually be just as hot as days in the summer which can take many guests by surprise. The average high this time of year is 89 degrees and the average low at 74.
September is considered the start of hurricane season in Florida so if you encounter any hurricanes or potential storms that can drastically alter your weather before a trip. While hurricanes often do not hit Orlando since it is not a coastal town, it can still impact the area with wind and heavy rain. You can read more about hurricanes at Walt Disney World in our guide.
Tips for Visiting Disney World in September
When it comes to visiting Disney World in September, we have some tried and true hacks for having a magical time on your vacation.
What to Wear
One of the most frequently asked guest questions is: what should I wear to Disney World? Always check the weather leading up to your trip. One big mistake guests can make this time of year is assuming that visiting during the Fall means the weather will be cooler. Not exactly the case, as you saw above when we looked at average high temperatures. Plan for hot weather and rain! Always carry a light poncho with you in the parks for those afternoon rain storms. Remember that most Disney World hotels are far from the parks themselves- you want to be prepared.
What to Pack
Considering the high average temperature for the month of September, plan on packing summer attire for the parks and the pool at your hotel.
Always bring the hot weather necessities like sunscreen, portable fans, cooling towels, and other items all aimed at keeping you cool on hot days. If you find yourself wanting one of these while you're there, you'll end up paying a high price in the parks or at your hotel. And if you're planning on hitting the beach, don't bother bringing towels and just use the ones from your hotel.
You can read our giant packing list here to make sure you show up prepared for literally anything you need while you're visiting Disney World.
What to Expect
There are a few things you should expect when choosing September as your month to visit Disney World:
- Be Prepared for Halloween Themes at the Magic Kingdom- some guests don't realize how early Halloween season begins at Disney World. This can be a welcome surprise or not- depending on personal preference. If you're not a fan of Halloween, you may want to rethink visiting during this month as the Magic Kingdom begins kicking off the Halloween fun with themed deocr, food, and characters in costumes early in the month.
- Be prepared for hot weather- a common misconception about visiting Disney World in September is that the weather will be cooler. That's not the case as hot weather continues well into September and rain continues with the hurricane season. If you don't handle heat well, it's so necessary to wake up early and get to the parks at least 45 minutes before they open the gates. The hot weather won't really start making an impact until 11am-12pm depending on the day so getting there early will make all the difference. And like I said before, bring cooling towels, misting fans, and any other gear you like to have when it's hot. With some advance planning, you can handle the heat!
- Know the Halloween Party Dates- being prepared for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is essential halfway in the month once the party dates begins. You should plan on park hopper tickets so you can hop over to the other theme parks when the party starts if you don't have a ticket. If you plan on attending, we recommend not buying a park ticket that day as your party ticket will allow you into the party!
- Watch the Weather- be aware that it is hurricane season in Florida so keep an eye on the weather before your trip and make any necessary adjustments. Pack rain gear so you're prepared no matter what! It WILL rain during your trip, don't be left without the gear you need.
But most of all, remember to enjoy your time at the most magical place on earth!
Plan Your Disney World Vacation!
Keep reading our blog to keep you updated on everything you need to know to prepare for a Disney Parks vacation! We have a team of writers working hard to keep you updated weekly on events in the parks and tips for navigating the magic. Subscribe to our free deals newsletter to receive helpful planning information, exclusive Disney deals, and access to the lowest priced Disney tickets anywhere. You can find more information on planning your vacation here:
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Guide
- Discount Disney World Tickets
- Ultimate Guide to Disney World Hotels
- Epcot International Food and Wine Festival
- Top Budget Disney World Hotels
Disclosure: We have used all the products recommended on Mickey Visit. We may receive compensation when you click on links to some products featured.