Disney World in September is going to be an exciting month as guests look forward to seeing the Halloween decorations in the Magic Kingdom, international food at Epcot, and the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge!
Save on your stay! Discount Walt Disney World tickets! Start preparing now for your Walt Disney World vacation and book your hotel with the best prices! Make sure you are getting the best deal for your vacation! Book now >
Everyone has personal preferences to consider when planning the date of their Walt Disney World trip- each season will have its pros and cons and guests' choices will vary based on those. Make sure to read our Walt Disney World crowd calendar to get an idea of what to expect when picking a date to visit Walt Disney World.
Keep reading for everything you need to know about visiting Disney World in September including current events, what weather to expect, crowd level predictions, and what to pack!
Disney World Events in September
Here are all the current events to know about impacting Disney World in September!
Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom
Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party takes place on these nights in the Magic Kingdom:
- September – 2, 6, 8, 10, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 27 and 29
It's important to note that if you do not have a ticket to the party you will have to leave once the party starts! Make sure that you have a park hopper ticket so you are not left without somewhere else to go. If you plan on attending on one of the party nights then I recommend arriving as early as Disney World will let you in the park so you can get full access from your party ticket to the Magic Kingdom. Make sure to read our full guide to the Halloween party to find out about the special entertainment, trick or treat stations, attractions, and more! And as always, make sure to buy your tickets in advance to the party if you plan on attending!
Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Hollywood Studios
Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opened to the public at the end of August. Make sure to read our guide to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge for land reviews, tips and tricks, and everything you need to know. This land has been extremely popular since opening so it's important to plan your day accordingly if Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is a priority.
Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
One of the most popular Epcot festivals, the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival, takes place in September so you can expect to see some higher crowds at Epcot during this time. You can read all about this delicious festival in our guide on Mickey Visit. You can expect to see a large variety of wine, international foods, concerts, culinary demonstrations, and other special themed events.
Free Disney Dining Plan and Hotel Discounts
In the past September is the month that you see the Free Disney Dining Plan offered and discounts on hotel rooms! This promotion is used to entice guests to visit the resort during lesser attended times of the year.
Mickey & Minnie’s Surprise Celebration at Magic Kingdom Park
This celebration runs until Sept. 30th with specialty food and “Move It! Shake It! MousekeDance It! Street Party” in front of Cinderella Castle.
Disney World Skyliner
Disney World's new Skyliner will open on Sept. 29, connecting Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Epcot with three Disney World Resort hotels: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort, Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort.
Disney World in September Crowd Calendar
This is the first Halloween season since Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opened at Disney World, it's hard to say how the crowds will behave this time of year. Many guests may have been saving their summer trips for the Fall in order to see the new land so crowd levels this Halloween season may be unpredictable. But due to the popularity of the Halloween season at the Magic Kingdom, it's safe to say you can expect high crowd levels during this month but maybe not quite as high during October as it gets closer to the actual date of Halloween.
Guests visiting the Magic Kingdom in September also have the extra hurdle of Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. If you don't have a party ticket, you will be asked to leave the park around 5pm. It's important to plan ahead for those dates so you have a plan in place for once the party starts. In the past the first start of the day before the Halloween party is actually low in crowd levels as many party goers don't enter the parks until later in the day when their Halloween party ticket allows saving them the cost of a full day ticket. It can actually be a wise decision to start off the day early at the park hosting the Halloween party to beat some of those crowds.
Disney World in September in the past has usually seen lower crowd levels with schools back in session but with the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge this year it's hard to determine how the crowds will behave. At the very least, it's always best to prepare for crowds and be pleasantly surprised if it's slower than expected!
Disney World Weather in September
Disney World in September can actually be just as hot as days in the summer which can take many guests by surprise. The average high this time of year is 89 degrees and the average low at 74.
This is also in the middle of hurricane season in Florida so it's expected to see some rainfall during you visit. The good news is that the rain should clear up within a few hours.
Tips for Visiting Disney World in September
When it comes to visiting Disney World in September, we have some tried and true hacks for having a magical time on your vacation.
What to Wear
One of the most frequently asked guest questions is: what should I wear to Disney World? Always check the weather leading up to your trip. One big mistake guests can make this time of year is assuming that visiting during the Fall means the weather will be cooler. Not exactly the case, as you saw above when we looked at average high temperatures. Plan for hot weather and rain! Always carry a light poncho with you in the parks for those afternoon rain storms. Remember that most Disney World hotels are far from the parks themselves- you want to be prepared.
What to Pack
Considering the high average temperature for the month of September, plan on packing summer attire for the parks and the pool at your hotel.
Always bring the hot weather necessities like sunscreen, portable fans, cooling towels, and other items all aimed at keeping you cool on hot days. If you find yourself wanting one of these while you're there, you'll end up paying a high price in the parks or at your hotel. And if you're planning on hitting the beach, don't bother bringing towels and just use the ones from your hotel.
If you plan on attending the Halloween party at Magic Kingdom, adults and children can wear costumes! It's best to buy your costume in advance and bring it with you. Buying one on the fly in the parks or nearby stores could be time consuming and expensive. People go all out with their costumes for the Halloween parties, consider dressing up so you can join in the fun.
You can read our giant packing list here to make sure you show up prepared for literally anything you need while you're visiting Disney World.
What to Expect
There are a few things you should expect when choosing September as your month to visit Disney World:
- Be Prepared for Halloween Themes at the Magic Kingdom- some guests don't realize how early Halloween season begins at Disney World. In fact, the Halloween party begins in August! This can be a welcome surprise or not- depending on personal preference. If you're not a fan of Halloween, you may want to rethink visiting during this month as the Magic Kingdom begins kicking off the Halloween fun with themed entertainment, food, and attraction themes early in the month.
- Know the Halloween Party Dates- being prepared for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is essential halfway in the month once the party dates begins. You should plan on park hopper tickets so you can hop over to the other theme parks when the party starts if you don't have a ticket. If you plan on attending, we recommend not buying a park ticket that day as your party ticket will allow you into the party!
- Be prepared for hot weather- a common misconception about visiting Disney World in September is that the weather will be cooler. That's not the case as hot weather continues well into September and rain continues with the hurricane season. If you don't handle heat well, it's so necessary to wake up early and get to the parks at least 45 minutes before they open the gates. The hot weather won't really start making an impact until 11am-12pm depending on the day so getting there early will make all the difference. And like I said before, bring cooling towels, misting fans, and any other gear you like to have when it's hot. With some advance planning, you can handle the heat!
- Tips for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge- if you're planning on visiting Batuu, then make sure to read our guide on the new Star Wars themed land! There are a few experiences that have been extremely popular aside from the Millennium Falcon ride and it's good to show up prepared so you know where to go first. If you have your heart set on meeting DJ Rex then go straight to Oga's Cantina in the morning. Or are you ready to become a Jedi and build a lightsaber? Then head right for Savi's Workshop!
But most of all, remember to enjoy your time at the most magical place on earth!
Plan Your Disney World Vacation!
Keep reading our blog to keep you updated on everything you need to know to prepare for a Disney Parks vacation! We have a team of writers working hard to keep you updated weekly on events in the parks and tips for navigating the magic. Subscribe to our free deals newsletter to receive helpful planning information, exclusive Disney deals, and access to the lowest priced Disney tickets anywhere. You can find more information on planning your vacation here:
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Guide
- Discount Disney World Tickets
- Ultimate Guide to Disney World Hotels
- Epcot International Food and Wine Festival
- Top Budget Disney World Hotels